• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get .5" steel sheets?

dont think that .5" might be a little thick? :(

perhaps finding some 10ga or some 3/16" at the thickest might be a plan? :guitar:

the majority of the XJ is 20 gauge anyhow... :confused1

.5":eek: thats huge for a big rig! go with 3/16th should do just fine!

I'm gonna go get meh steel now, 3/16" thick :D

Edit: dah crap, just occurred to me....I don't know if they're gonna fit under my bumper mounts. Any suggestions?
I don't think I can just "bend" the bumper out of the way, it has a lifetime guarantee not to bend...

You want at least 1/4" for mounting,after that It would be about design,I usually use a combination of 1/8"-3/16" depending on where!

i was expecting this thread to be about getting the steel to shave a 14bolt, thats about the only instance of .5 steel i have ever heard mention of around here.

I'm going with 3/16" steel, I'll figure out the bolts once I get the mounts all finished. Anyone know what bolts I should get? I'm using a 3/8" drill to drill the holes.

Skully said:
If you are in the Denver area take that mount and go to K&K surplus, I-76 & 88th round abouts, go around with it until you find what you need.............. if you find it in the scrap stock it is .50 a pound.....
From Skully when I was looking for some stuff a while back.
They're HERE

You want at least 1/4" for mounting,after that It would be about design,I usually use a combination of 1/8"-3/16" depending on where!

my c4x4 tow hook brackets are 3/16" and they held up to a locked YJ yanking me up a hill. Most of the bumpers i have seen have 3/16" plate for mounting IIRC!

I got a 3/16" sheet I'm cutting. Got the sheet at dencol steel. Ordered it at 13"x18" (cheaper than ordering to smaller dimensions for some strange reason...) cost me about $20.

Back