• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA Compressor Mounting

fyrfytr1717

NAXJA Forum User
I know, I know... Lots of threads about this already, but here's the catch. I've just read through 11 pages of search results for "compressor mounting" and none provided what I'd consider an ideal solution for my situation.

I have a '99 with ABS and want to install an electric compressor. I don't want to mount it in the passenger compartment and as much as I'd love to run a belt driven system, I don't want to give up my A/C nor do I have the fab skills necessary to run both the A/C and belt driven compressor.

The issue here (for those that don't have ABS) is that the ABS equipment takes up all the real estate next to the master cylinder. I replaced the stock airbox with a K&N FIPK so that opens up a little room, but I still think I may be a little short on space up there. I was thinking maybe bolting it to the FIPK heat shield may work?

Anyone been successful mounting an electric compressor in the engine compartment with ABS? How about under the vehicle? While not ideal, Viair's website says some of their units can withstand being mounted externally. I was thinking maybe both the compressor and air tank could be mounted just above the rear axle. Looks like there would also be room for the compressor just in front of the passenger side leaf spring shackle box though it would probably take a lot of abuse from debris flying off the tire. Any ideas or suggestions?

I mounted my compressor in the rear, behind the passenger side "kick panel??", just forward of the lift gate; however, mines an '88--so you may not have the same space available.
My air tank is mounted just forward of the gas tank, up against the floor.
A couple of pictures gives a better idea:
puma3hk5.jpg

arbvspumadq9.jpg

airtank3ue5.jpg

Last edited:
remove the plastic from the pass side quarter cut out triangular shape stuff behind, cover it up. thats my plans after i get a compressor that will geterate enough pressure.

I know you don't want it inside, can i ask why? I don't hear mine at all..It is under the rear seat driverside

Anyproblems with it overheating under the seat? or melting of the carpet underneath it? I plan on get the masterflow MV50 or whatever its called now (the red one that seems popular) Not sure where Im going to mount it quite yet. I do now though that I probably wont be putting it in the passenger cubby hole as Id like to glass my subwoofer in there. My spare is still mounted on the drivers side so Im going to try and get a pancake tank that I could mount inside the spare tire.

didn't he say he didn't want it in the cab???

Thanks for noticing...

I know you don't want it inside, can i ask why? I don't hear mine at all..It is under the rear seat driverside

Honestly, noise was the number one concern.
2. I have an amp and my Sirius box mounted in the spot you're referring to (and a subwoofer mounted in the rear passenger quarter panel that was referred to above.)
3. I'd rather leave my jack and lug nut wrench in their spot under the passenger side rear seat.
4. I'd also be worried about heat and airflow issues under my rear seat as it spends about 95% of it's time folded down.
5. It seems that under one of the front seats would be ideal other than the fact that there is nothing to muffle the noise.

Anyproblems with it overheating under the seat? or melting of the carpet underneath it? I plan on get the masterflow MV50 or whatever its called now (the red one that seems popular) Not sure where Im going to mount it quite yet. I do now though that I probably wont be putting it in the passenger cubby hole as Id like to glass my subwoofer in there. My spare is still mounted on the drivers side so Im going to try and get a pancake tank that I could mount inside the spare tire.

So far no problem at all, it has been under the seat now about 1 year... I use it alot to air my 33s back up..I live in the desert..Palm springs./ I don't hear it running
comp2.jpg

tank is here
airtank.jpg

I hth

Yep, I liked that install. However, he doesn't have ABS leaving him the room to mount the compressor next to his master cylinder. I'm not sure why he had to remove his stock airbox though. I thought most installs in that location leave the factory airbox in place?

Anyone installed a compressor in the engine compartment, not next to the master cylinder?

he could have just put the cone for better intake. ya its warmer air, but with a shield it would still be ok.

I think I saw an install of one on the pass side. same idea, same place just pass side.

i have the tiny ARB one installed in my airbox location with the rustys cold air intake eliminating the stock air box. i could fit the higher duty cycle ARB compressor in there, but didn't want to shell out the extra $$$ at the time i purchased the compressor, and haven't been inconvienced enough to need a bigger compressor, although i do have a junkyard York waiting to go somewhere....

How about making/using something like the intake that comes with the mean green dual battery setup? instead of using the battery tray, you can have that space to mount your compressor possibly?

That's a definite possibility. I'd hate to get rid of my K&N FIPK (mostly because it was expensive) but from what I've read on here it doesn't provide great dust filtration anyways. Has anyone used the Mean Green intake? I'd imagine it would have the same dust issues as the K&N unless it uses a different type of filter media. It would open up a bunch of space though. Thanks for the idea.

I know he didnt really want interior mounting but heres mine anyways inside the spare tire.

Thanks for sharing... Yeah, don't want it inside and I don't have a spare tire in the cargo area. 33's don't fit well in the stock mounting location.

Last edited:
That's a definite possibility. I'd hate to get rid of my K&N FIPK (mostly because it was expensive) but from what I've read on here it doesn't provide great dust filtration anyways. Has anyone used the Mean Green intake? I'd imagine it would have the same dust issues as the K&N unless it uses a different type of filter media. It would open up a bunch of space though. Thanks for the idea.

Just stole this picture from a post by RaiderX7 about his dual battery set-up. Said he didn't like the Mean Green intake as it reused the factory intake tube so he cut off 6-8 inches of his K&N FIPK and installed a 60 degree bend in the tube. It should also allow me to (sort of) retain my CARB exemption which I need to pass smog here in CA.

It should open up plenty of room for mounting OBA and it will only cost me a new, shorter cone filter (needed to replace the K&N anyway) and an elbow. Not to mention I can't find the Mean Green intake available for sale individually anywhere.

CIMG1859.jpg

problem with that setup up is there is absolutely no heat shield between exhuast manifold and intake cone. so any air being sucked up is gonna be pretty warm, hot even considering the exhaust is kinda warm.

Back