• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door latch stuck "closed" but it wont close...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '89 limited...my doors have always been sorta sticky, but due to our recent cold weather the doors have been a real bother. Today I was having similar problems to what my other passenger door was having were the latch would get stuck and not close, and for that one I just sprayed wd40 in there and all worked well. Well this time on the other passenger door I put in some bike chain lube as it was all I had, and wiggled the latch around...and then it got stuck in the close position. So now my door is open and wont close, I can move the latch in more, but not back out. I've tried everything I can think of...is there anything internally that could have caused this? I would really like to close the door before it snows more...

~Scott

P.S. Does the 30> degree temps have anything to do with this?

I just went through this around a week ago with a passenger rear door, it was around -5* F outside and I was already late leaving for a 14 hour drive. Needless to say, the stuck door latch just about caused an aneurism and had there been a cliff nearby, I would have driven the ol' XJ right off it in a heartbeat.

Anyways, my problem ended up being that the push button on the door handle had built some ice up somewhere inside, and it just wasn't releasing the catch properly. I found that by pushing the button on the handle in and simultaneously walking the catch into proper position with a screwdriver, combined with a few choice words I was able to get the door shut. To be honest I locked the door as soon as I got it shut and havn't tried opening it again (just in case), but the problem seemed to be resolved after that saga..I'm pretty sure it was just some ice built up in there.

hmm I suppose I'll bust out a hair dryer and get to work...thanks for the ideas at the least "clunk".

~Scott

sprayed a little more wd40 in it and used a hair dryer. The hair dryer did it.

Thanks "clunk"!

~Scott

Back