• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater fan R & R

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, how do I get to it on my 96. I can't see it and I still can't find my Haynes manual either since moving. I bought a new Siemens blower motor and would like to get rid of "this is only a test" buzzer the old one makes in the lower speeds.

Ok now I'm really confused. I looked at a Haynes manual and it said that I remove it from the engine side of the firewall. Yet I read because I have A/C that I need to drain the A/C system first? That and I access it from under the dash?! HEEEEELP I'm confused.:confused1

Open the hood and look to the far left of the firewall. You will see a round black contraption bolted in with (3) 8mm bolts. Since yours is a 1996, you do not need to evacuate the A/C, that is only on 1997+ XJs. You may have to move a washer bottle to access it, I honestly can't tell you since I haven't worked on many of the intermediate high output XJs, but it is there.

Edit...If this...

19964.jpg

is what your engine bay looks like, you will have to move the washer bottle, then you will see it.

Last edited:
Hey thanks. I appreciate your answer. I'll be freezing getting this done right now. Bad part is it is -7 outside right now. :shiver: Now to keep my hands from freezing to the tools. Wood burner in the garage is nice if you have wood. Thinking I might miss my recliner this holiday season. lol :shhh:

Hey thanks. I appreciate your answer. I'll be freezing getting this done right now. Bad part is it is -7 outside right now. :shiver: Now to keep my hands from freezing to the tools. Wood burner in the garage is nice if you have wood. Thinking I might miss my recliner this holiday season. lol :shhh:
Not a problem. I'm in the same boat as you just being one state south :D, I know how crucial it is to retain any heat possible. Good luck with it, if you have any more questions hit me back through this or backchannel.
-Collin

BIGSLVRXJ is correct. On a '96 the blower motor is behind the washer bottle and there is no need to evacuate the AC system. The washer bottle will need to be removed.

A tip for those who may need to evacuate the A/C system and "relocate the accumulator" following the steps of the FSM: you don't need to. Take the bracket off the accumulator, and very carefully rotate it up out of the way, you can then pull the fan out under the accumulator and pull it out next to the valve cover. Just did this over the past couple of days on my 2000 and it worked out just fine.

argh. I had a similar problem, no heater fan. Fortunately, it's a a pretty easy repair on my 86 XJ. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem, the blower motor is fine. That means something else has fried(literally, blue smoke). Any ideas?

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cold to be driving heaterless!

Back