• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch help 84' xj

sean058621

NAXJA Forum User
hey all. my brother fell in love with my jeep and recently purcahced one of his own. an 84 two door with the 5 speed.

we live 400 miles apart so this is the first time I've seen the vehicle which seems to be in great shape for the 700 he paid.

anyways when he bought it, the clutch felt fine, and had pressure all the way to the top of the petal.

he said in the past 3 days he has noticed a problem worsening and worsening of the clutch. and now it has no pressure at all. he said that the problem wasnt very gradual and pretty sudden. now to start with my troubleshooting I need to know if this vehicle is equipped with a clutch cable, or if it is a hydraulic clutch, figured I'd start with the easy stuff first.

my brother isn't very mechanically inclined so I'd like to try and help him out before I leave town.

I figured you guys were my best source of theories and ideas since you've helped me figure out my jeeps kinks in the past.
thanks guys
Sean

right on that is what I thought. okay..now can anyone tell me where to check and fill the fluid??? could cold weather cause and leakage or air pockets or anything negative? we've had below zero temps lately.

should be a clutch master on the firewall to check the level of the fluid. i believe the 84 also uses an external slave to move the fork that moves the pressure plate.

first check the level, if low refill with brake fluid. if the pedal returns, check for leaks

Back