• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

triangulated 4 link front + track bar = binding?

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
I've always wondered how this setup fairs on the XJ due to the different paths of rotation. Essentially the track bar and the axle are going to fight each other under compression and droop.

Has anyone had any unibody stress fractures or bushing failures with this setup?

I thought I'd throw this out there to compliment the TNT bushing thread. :greensmok

from what I understand,
triangulated 4 link = no trac bar

the bds and rk kits are not triangulated 4 links

if you run conventional steering (ie using a drag link,not full hydro) you need a trackbar to eliminate bumpsteer. and you can't run a trackbar with a triangulated 4 link, im sure some backyard hack has, but it would bind like crazy on travel

the bds and rk kits are not triangulated 4 links

if you run conventional steering (ie using a drag link,not full hydro) you need a trackbar to eliminate bumpsteer. and you can't run a trackbar with a triangulated 4 link, im sure some backyard hack has, but it would bind like crazy on travel

X2.

The purpose of a trac bar is to locate the axle under the vehicle ie; prevent it from moving from one side to the other in relation to the body.
A properly designed 4 link will locate the axle albeit more precisely than a tracbar.
Why would one also need a trac bar?

X2.

The purpose of a trac bar is to locate the axle under the vehicle ie; prevent it from moving from one side to the other in relation to the body.
A properly designed 4 link will locate the axle albeit more precisely than a tracbar.
Why would one also need a trac bar?

x3

A triangulated 4 link is nearly impossible on the front of an XJ... but if you were going to do it, you would want to lose the trackbar and the drag link and go full hydro to prevent binding.
Billy

Ya I always though a proper triangulated 4 link means you CAN't run a track bar.

assuming one were to attempt to design a triangulated 4 link for the front of an xj, where would be the most likely spot for the upper arms top center mounts? the only place i can think of is the tranny cross member, but that's kinda far back, just guessing. anyway, more directly on topic, i also thought that there was no need to run a trac bar with triangulated 4 link.

fwiw, the RK kit is a 3 link with a trac bar, i think the BDS is the same, but i'm not too familiar with it.

assuming one were to attempt to design a triangulated 4 link for the front of an xj, where would be the most likely spot for the upper arms top center mounts? the only place i can think of is the tranny cross member, but that's kinda far back, just guessing.

If I was going to build a 4 link front, I'd run the uppers from the center of the axle out to the frame. I'm pretty sure you'd need to move to axle forward a couple inches to make it fit.

-Jon

Ya I always though a proper triangulated 4 link means you CAN't run a track bar.

You can... plenty of suspension designs bind
xmasbiggrin.gif

Billy

Back