• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler longarm

justin_502

NAXJA Forum User
I narrowed it down between long arm kits and I think I will be going with the rock krawler upgrade. It costs less and is not a raidus arm setup. The only bad thing I heard about the kit is it is noisy, anyone have any regrets buying this kit? And my question is I got some crappy rustys shocks on there now and wanted to upgrade to some bilstein 5150s. With the long arm upgrade anyone got a part number to the length I would need?

lift height? may be helpful for shock length.

if you are going to get the rk kit you need to order it soon. i have heard that after the first of the year they won't be offering the 3 link kit anymore. they are going to a 4 link. the new kit is supposed to be just the same as the current one but it has a passenger side bracket like the drivers side and another upper. price will be going up as well.

if you are going to get the rk kit you need to order it soon. i have heard that after the first of the year they won't be offering the 3 link kit anymore. they are going to a 4 link. the new kit is supposed to be just the same as the current one but it has a passenger side bracket like the drivers side and another upper. price will be going up as well.

If it will be the same kit just with the 4th link than all you have to do is not run that link to make it their 3 link...plus personally I would rather run a 4 link

ill be at rks shop today ill ask them!

I like my RK for the wheel droop i can get now with the long arms. If you get it i would maximize your wheel base when you install depending on your tire size. I am running 38's and needed to get the tire forward to keep away from the floorboards and fender.

RK will not be discontinuing the 3-link. They will be separating the two systems (3-link and 4-link) the three link will be the X-Factor line and the 4-Link will be sold as a new product on a new line of products after the new year, SUPER beefy 4th link to the axle, thing looks like a tank.

After the first, just like any offroad company the prices will be going up. so order up now! I just got the 3-link and X-factor steering today from their main headquarters. They are a great operation and really a quality product you will not be disappointed. I will be welding mine to the T&T framer stiffeners!

If you have any questions let me know

Is it worth waiting for the 4 link or is the 3 link alright? Also what other companies sell the kits, they dont seem to be to popular? I emailed Jason at jeepinoutfitters and he said he could get me one 580. to my door (the 3 link). Is that a fair deal?

3 yrs ago I bought a Rock Krawler 3-link. First I had the 6.5 in and then I later upgrade the coils to the 8" and had to use a 1" block to lift the rear. (lift blocks suck!) Anyway... It really performed great, rides like a caddy and the articulation is incredidible for a almost bolt-on system.

Here are the issues that I didn't like about it:

1. You have to upgrade the control arm bolts to 14 mm. Because the factory bolts are tapered and no matter how much you torque them down, the control arms will click and pop from moving in the mounts. Factor in the cost of new grade 8 -14mm bolts and nuts.

2. The upper control arm mount plates... (I tried looking at there updated kit and It looks like it may have changed a little) The way its mounted on the frame, It pinches the uni-frame rail. After some hard wheeling it loosens up and your forced to tighten it up, but as you do this your crushing the rail. So I had to weld some spacers betwen the plates inside the frame rail so I could stop the rail from collapsing. I also put a couple of stitch welds on the plates on each side or the rail to keep them from shifting back and forth.

3. The swaybar links are noisy. The started creakin and squeaking and no amount of lube would stop it forever. So I just ditched them.

4. They upgraded they're rear spring design with snail wraps. IDK if they bumped up the spring rates but my rear springs and both sets of coils (6.5 and 8") were totally sacked in 6 months and I don't carry any weight with me. I upgraded to Rustys coil and leaf springs and I'm totally happy with them... And they DONT sack out.

AS for they're steering. I think they should just stop making it cause its the most horrible design I ever seen or experienced. I purchased one and absolutely hated it. The tie rod design acts like a lever on the rod ends causing the rod to bounce up and down with bumps which ends up blowing the rod ends. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A TERAFLEX HIGH STEER KIT. I found a new tera flex kit on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...temQQimsxZ20081125?IMSfp=TL0811251510007r8859

-If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with the Rusty's y-link set-up. The Rock Krawler kit is really awesome AFTER a little fine tuning and messaging.

Last edited:
i setup a friends 5.5" mj w/ the rk 3 link front end... because its a 2wd, i am not convinced of the strength of the front susp... its gonna get trussed....

it IS noisy, it does clunk..... but whatever you do, just buy their long arms, like was stated above, nobody seems to like their steering...

but i am actually glad they are offering the 4link setup now, it should give the prerunner crowd something besides the other conventional full 4-link setups... before the problem with the 4 link was the exhaust mounting, i wonder how they get around that....

Is it worth waiting for the 4 link or is the 3 link alright? Also what other companies sell the kits, they dont seem to be to popular? I emailed Jason at jeepinoutfitters and he said he could get me one 580. to my door (the 3 link). Is that a fair deal?

Holy tits that seems cheap, what lift height are you talking about?

3 yrs ago I bought a Rock Krawler 3-link. First I had the 6.5 in and then I later upgrade the coils to the 8" and had to use a 1" block to lift the rear. (lift blocks suck!) Anyway... It really performed great, rides like a caddy and the articulation is incredidible for a almost bolt-on system.

Here are the issues that I didn't like about it:

1. You have to upgrade the control arm bolts to 14 mm. Because the factory bolts are tapered and no matter how much you torque them down, the control arms will click and pop from moving in the mounts. Factor in the cost of new grade 8 -14mm bolts and nuts.

2. The upper control arm mount plates... (I tried looking at there updated kit and It looks like it may have changed a little) The way its mounted on the frame, It pinches the uni-frame rail. After some hard wheeling it loosens up and your forced to tighten it up, but as you do this your crushing the rail. So I had to weld some spacers betwen the plates inside the frame rail so I could stop the rail from collapsing. I also put a couple of stitch welds on the plates on each side or the rail to keep them from shifting back and forth.

3. The swaybar links are noisy. The started creakin and squeaking and no amount of lube would stop it forever. So I just ditched them.

4. They upgraded they're rear spring design with snail wraps. IDK if they bumped up the spring rates but my rear springs and both sets of coils (6.5 and 8") were totally sacked in 6 months and I don't carry any weight with me. I upgraded to Rustys coil and leaf springs and I'm totally happy with them... And they DONT sack out.

AS for they're steering. I think they should just stop making it cause its the most horrible design I ever seen or experienced. I purchased one and absolutely hated it. The tie rod design acts like a lever on the rod ends causing the rod to bounce up and down with bumps which ends up blowing the rod ends. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A TERAFLEX HIGH STEER KIT. I found a new tera flex kit on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...temQQimsxZ20081125?IMSfp=TL0811251510007r8859

-If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with the Rusty's y-link set-up. The Rock Krawler kit is really awesome AFTER a little fine tuning and messaging.

With the Teraflex the alluminum tie rod will not be your friend when you find some rocks. Id say get ORO but their kit has a reputation for blowin TREs pretty damn fast, idk about its reputation with strength

the RK 3 link is a great kit, ran it on my xj for some time, their newer kit addresses a lot of the problems like pinching the frame rails, there are crush sleeves that are welded into the uni-body. I know a few people that have ran the x=factor steering with no problems but i cant really comment on it as i'v never ran it, When i build another XJ again i'll buy the RK3 link just because of its simplicity and durability.. Only down side to the kit is its pretty heavy other then that no complaints.

Got it seems to hold up very well.

Been on for about 2 years. I do have some clink noises but i dont think it is the long arm kit i believe it is the Rubicon quick discos. I think the are a shitty design with no grease fittings and the bushings wear fast.

Rc kit is strong and is on my dd

I would buy it if i had to build one :yelclap:

Back