• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE issues...

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
So I just finished installing my JB HD SYE, and I could have sworn it was shifting correctly before I put it back in. Once I got it back in the jeep though I couldn't get it in 4HI or 4LO. :(

What the hell did I do wrong? Everything wen't back together without issue, and I thought I made sure I oriented all the components the same as the way they came out. I was hoping I could get this done and completed this weekend, but it doesn't sound like it's going to happen.

I've rebuilt 3 manual trannies before with no issues. I thought the TC would be a cake walk. :twak:

TIA,
Bryson

Nope. The JB instructions just said the 88 and 89 models. Would it be required on a 99 as well? (this is the 231 BTW).

Thanks man.

i have seen it required on my 91 and 96 t-cases. if you are unsure, open it up and look inside. you should see if it's too long or not. the old tailhousing has some space where the shift rod can slide into, the new one is flat in that same spot.

I wonder if it's possible to cut with just taking the tail housing off then? I'll have to take a look tomorrow. If it's the shift rod, I should be able to shift into 4HI and 4LO if I remove the little "inspection bolt." On another note, it seems like they could have easily made the kit to where you didn't need to trim it. Oh well.

yea, you should be able to cut it that way. i think thats what the porc instructions say

Have you tried to adjust the linkage any?

Maybe remove the linkage from the TC, and move it from underneath the rig. If it moves into position, stays, and works, its in the linkage adjustment. Thats the first thing I would try before tearing it down again.

Sounds like linkage!!

Have you tried to adjust the linkage any?

Maybe remove the linkage from the TC, and move it from underneath the rig. If it moves into position, stays, and works, its in the linkage adjustment. Thats the first thing I would try before tearing it down again.

+1

When I was down in OBX, my jeep started making some horrible grinding noises in 4HI, so I had to drive the beach in 4LO. I adjusted the linkage and all the noises went away.

Well, that was easy yet a PITA at the same time. The tail cone was just slightly rotated which as just enough to prevent the shift rod from being able to protrude all the way into the housing. I removed the tail cone and it shifted just fine. I simply shifted it into 4hi which allowed me to use the rod as a guide when reinstalling the cone. I wish the instructions would have mentioned that. :(Oh well. Problem solved, and vibration free. :)

Back