• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch help

TommyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
1992 6 Cly 5 speed 202000

Ok. I was driving my XJ around tonight and found out the I have to push the clutch pedal halfway to get any resistance. Like wise when I drive I can play with the pedal without going into neutral. When I try and put into gear I have to pump he pedal 2 or 3 time to get into first easily.

I have an idea that either the clutch is going or the hydro lines are shot.:dunno:

So can anyone tell me what is doing on? Thank you vary much guys.

I would check your clutch master cylinder. Look for fluid leaking on the firewall on the driver side.
Same thing happened to me 3 years ago. I replaced it and have been good since.

Acutally - won't be any fluid on the firewall. The gasket inside the master is probably worn and is letting the fluid seep by which is why you're pumping it.

Last edited:
for my 96, it's on the top of the firewall and was easy to replace. 2 bolts holding it and the line to the slave. Bleeding it is a 2 person job though.
If you have a repair guide (ie haynes or chiltons) you'll have no problems

good luck

Yea - it'll be in the same spot.
When mine went out I was able to baby it around for a while until I figured out what the problem was and picked up a replacement.
They do sell a rebuild kit for it, but I opted for a new part just so I wouldn't screw it up. The rebuild kit was much less but this is my DD and I didn't have time to monkey with it.

Ok. This is also my DD till I leave for Basic in Febuary. I also have another question about the Clutch, I cant get the filler cap off, so I could be low on fluid too. The cap wont turn, feels froze, but dont want to bang on it to ge off. So any idea to get it off?

Try checking it after you've been driving and the engine is warm - the heat in the engine compartment should help and may keep the plastic cap from breaking.

Make sure the master is completely filled--an ounce low will make a big difference between easy engagement or hard. Also, if you can see debris on the bottom of the master, that could be a disintegrated seal.

Yesterday I get the cap off and it looked lower than I thought it should and added some brake fluid to it. Went and drove it around and the clutch was easier to use but I hade to pump is a couple of time to get in to first. but after 20 mins of driving it was getting back to the way it used to be. I will still look into the Gasket problem though.

I have the same problum on the GF heep I know theres a thread about what brand/type of break fluid to use but my computer is on slow dial up so ill just be lazy and ask

Ok have been driving the XJ for over 2 weeks, and now im getting annoyed with the constant pumping and sometimes force into first. Going to try and replace this weekend, any advice and/or experience? thanks guys.

Javashack pretty much covered it. Note how the washers fit when you remove the push rod from the clutch pedal.

When I first did this job on my 85 a bunch of years ago, I didn't have a manual and was too dumb to know that you were supposed to bleed the system. After replacing I just pumped the clutch pedal about 20 times (or whatever) until it firmed up. The next couple of times I replaced the cylinder, I did the same thing with no problems. However, the last time I did the job several years ago, it would not self bleed for whatever reason -- assume I got more air in the line.

I don't know what the odds are that this will work for you but it won't hurt to try because bleeding is a pain, at least on the older models with the external slave -- I don't know what slave and bleeding procedure the 92 has. In any event your Chiltons will (hopefully) cover everything.

Back