• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tensioner bolt busted :(

Leica99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today I went to change out the belt on my newly acquired 97 XJ. I got the Krikit II tensioner tool and a premium belt from NAPA and was set to go. I had a tough time getting the tensioner to loosen, the bolt was sticking up an inch or so, but the pulley didn't move. After a little pounding with a sledge I was able to loosen it. Got the old belt off, the new one on and began to tighten, stopping periodically to check the tension with the tool.

I was just starting to get a reading on the tool when the bolt snapped off. Needless to say I was thrilled. After pondering how to fix it, I thought that maybe it's tight enough where it broke, I got a reading of around 150lbs, and 170 is required for a new belt, that's pretty close. I started the Jeep, let it run awhile, and everything seemed fine, but when I checked the tension again it's now reading 80 pounds (at least it's reading). The belt stretched out a bit I guess.

So what would YOU do? It seems to be running fine, I've been working on this Jeep awhile now (rusted floor pan fixed, replaced interior, hit a tree and fixing damage) and I'm just over working on it for the winter at least, I'm in NY and it's damn cold. And I really don't want to cut the brand new belt I just put on it, I don't see how I'd be able to loosen the pulley, it seems my only option would be to cut the belt, remove the tensioner pulley and put in a new one. :(

Suggestions?

I did the same thing about a week ago. I ended up taking it to a shop because I do not have a garage and it was pretty cold out. They replaced the collar the bolt goes through and put a new bolt it in. Had to order the part but other than that I think I could have been out in under a hour.

I was able to drive a little bit but I did not push it. Kept the RPMs as low as possible and got it fixed as soon as I could. You don't want it to let go when you are driving down the road.

I broke mine on the trail rig. I made my own out of a piece of 3/8x16 threaded rod and a nut welded to one end. I turned the other end down to fit into the bracket on a lathe at work and then re-drilled the tensioner block and tapped it for the 3/8x16 rod.

Works better than the stock unit.

I was able to drive a little bit but I did not push it. Kept the RPMs as low as possible and got it fixed as soon as I could. You don't want it to let go when you are driving down the road.

Well honestly, it's a hell of a lot tighter than the old belt that I took off was, and I was driving around like that for weeks. Who knows how long the previous owner was driving it like that. I would hate to take it to a shop and spend anymore money than I already have.....I can fix it, I just don't want to deal with it right now.

I guess I'll just drive it and see what happens....Won't the belt squeal and slip before it just falls off?

Back