• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amp draw of power windows?

CharlieMopps

NAXJA Forum User
My 89's power windows have been messed up since I got it. I was messing around with the rear left that wouldn't go up or down anymore and shorted (intentionally) one of the switch wires to the drive motor to at least get it up for the winter. It worked but the rest of the windows are all stuck up now.

No blown fuses
No Burnt wires (that I can find) or smell.
I've about had it and think I'm going to just toss all the stock switches and wire, and rerun the entire thing myself. Nothing fancy, 1 switch per door, per window. Yea, I'll have to lean over to roll down the pasanger side but at least it'll work.

Does anyone know what the amp draw is on the windows? I want to know what kind of switches to get. Maybe I'll even build something out of relays. If anyone else has done anything similar and someone has a link, I'd appreciate that as well. Think I would be safe getting 30amp stuff?

I don't have the FSM with me and I'm really beat. What I remember is that each motor is about 5 amp draw. All of the motors get power from the driver's door. I believe there is a 30 amp circuit breaker in the interior fuse box and a 60 amp breaker in the PDC under the hood.

Back