• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater and AC problems

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My heater doesnt do anything nor does my AC. I have checked fuses. tapped the blower motor.
i cant feel any heat at all even when moving and vehicles hot.
When i move my heater switch i can see the vent doors move.
When i put it on AC my engine doesnt get anymore load really cant hear a difference at all no difference on rpm gauge. Thanks for your help ill try to get any info u ask.

1996 jeep cherokee 4.0

ok so i pulled out the fuse earlier and it looked good... because it was then i pulled it out again and looked at the fuse block... at first i thought there was melted fuse in there so i disconnected the battery got some lil pliers and began to pick at it. It was not melted fuse it was tinfoil... horay for people so im working on getting this glob of tinfoil out and now i am assuming my blower motor is toast? test lighting fuse block now

my test light fried before i even got to test the fuse block... i got all the tinfoil out. so now i guess blower motor but i still dont know why the AC doesnt kick on either. tomorrow im going to pull out the controls and check it out... also my temperature sensor doesnt work would that effect it?

It may have fried the blower switch, resistor block and/or wiring. This is a common problem when they put pennies behind the fuse. Knowing what has been done I check it all. Even if you get the blower going finishes checking it all and save you work later.
PS check of any more pennies.

It's not that hard to pull the blower motor and test it from the battery. I'll also warn everyone about using cheapo fuses. I was using them before, but had one fuse partially melt down without breaking the circuit. It melted a couple of wires together that I had to separate and reinsulate working under the dash for several hours (in the winter of course). Since then, only brand name fuses.

where is the resistor block?
also theres what i think is a solonoid with 2 vacuum lines to it and 2 wires directly above my AC inlet and outlet that continuously click while the engine idles.. hard enough that you can feel it by touching the solonoid... is that normal?

Resistor block is on the HVAC housing, I'm not sure where, but it is easy to get to. Search other threads. Many pictures of it. Usually blower still works on high even if resistor is fried, but sometimes the wires get fried (in your case likely due to fuse bypass issue). The wires from the blower motor go to the resistor. Not sure about clicking, but it doesn't sound normal.

Thanks winter. I just direct wired the blower it works great (after the jeep gods decided a bolt needs to fall into my frame rail).. so now its resistor time i gotta go out anyway so i might aswell go pick one up hopefully this is the problem.. if not my other XJ needs a resistor it only works on high lol.

"also theres what i think is a solonoid with 2 vacuum lines to it and 2 wires directly above my AC inlet and outlet that continuously click while the engine idles.. hard enough that you can feel it by touching the solonoid... is that normal?"

Sounds like the leak detection pump, yes it is normal.

Eric

Thanks Ebish... Ill have to google that lol
Gotta wait 2 days for the resistor maybe napa will have it since they weren't open today

Pulled the dash apart and saw my heater switch wasn't even connected. after digging around a lil i pulled out a crusty melted burnt up plug with pieces of the actual switch melting to it.
anyone know how much the stealership charges for a heater blower switch?

Thanks bhorn
Went to napa today nearest switch was in Miami... jeep dealer closed early... So i checked out the wiring diagram and rigged my own toggle switch. Naturally i should of test lighted first anyway turned it on nothing. so i test lighted the fuse block(the one thats already nasty and melted) it has such a bad connection the test light filament barely glows orange if you look at it closely...
Now to remove the fuse block o_O

Back