• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft question

chrisja77

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've been reading up on driveshafts, but I can't find what I'm looking for. I am in the process of putting a 6" lift on my 95 XJ. It is a 5 speed, D35 combo. I am working on replacing the rear axle and getting a SYE, but I need something to get my by until then. I know my driveshaft is gonna be too short, so my question is, how do I patch it for a few weeks until I get my 8.8 and sye in? Would the front driveshaft from an auto tranny work, or one from a grand cherokee be better? I have heard the grand's are about 1" longer than the auto's...:dunno: Any help would be appreciated.

Without the SYE no front driveshaft from XJ or ZJs will work. Ive heard that auto rear shafts are longer than the manual ones(or is the front?)

But Id at least throw in a transfer case drop. Might even drop it to about 1 1/4" just to keep the shaft in the Tcase. If you aviod pot holes and keep it on road for the few weeks you'll be fine.

It is the front. The front shaft on an auto is longer than the rear shafts, and I was told the ZJ shafts were 1" longer than the front auto XJ shafts. I'm putting a 1" TC drop on too for now too.

And I have an Aussie in the front. Won't be very friendly driving on the pavement...LOL

They are, but the front shaft does not have a slip yoke. Your rear tailshaft IS a slip yoke because you have not elliminated it yet (hince the reason for the name SYE= slip yoke elliminator) so NO from drive lines will bolt on untill you have your sye on.
Just get the biggest rear axle shims you can find and buy a t-case drop kit. You can run a stock rear drive line it will not be too short. It will get you by, youll just probably have drive line vibrations, and if you wheel it a greater risk of loosing rear u-joints but with a dana 35 id be more worried about that.

Back