• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle truss? Pro's vs. Con's?

XJfire75

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys Im building my 8.25 for my DD 98 and its got 4:10s and an Auburn LSD. I've been grinding on it and all and I'm about ready to cut the shock mounts off and do some welding. I have some tubing I can use for a trus but is there much benefit for the axle strength if I'll only be running 33s? I was just going to make it more of some gussets that only extend like 6" from the chunk to the axle tubes.

I'm also in a dilema on raising the shock mounts. I need pics of how yall've done it and opinions on them too. I was going to make the bolt center with the bottom of the axle because my shocks dont have much room to move up. Eye sits about 5" out of the shock cylinder so theres not much to play with. What do yall think?

Thanks guys. Ill post pics when I figure out what Im going to do and when I get it done.

You wont really need a truss. They are good if your going to link the rear. It gives you a solid place to weld mounts to. It also just looks cool. Really on an 8.25 and 33s you shouldnt really ever need on. Ive jumped the shit out of my xj and bent both of the 8.25 stock axles and the housing was still stright. You might consider welding the axle tubes if your afraid of them twisting.

I just took a plasma cutter to my stock mounts cut them off the axle, cut half of the mount off, then traced a spray paint can w/ the plasma cutter to get the axle tube shape, tweeked each as needed slightly, then burned them back on.
Ill try to get a pic up tomorrow after work.

I raised my mounts, here are some pics. Like you, I'm building another 8.25 and have contemplated a truss but most don't recommend it but I may add a traction bar later so i may go ahead and do it and make the mounts for the traction bar now so it will be ready. I also want to design and make a yoke guard for it as well since I'm always grinding mine on rock. I'm on 35's.

Shave that diff while you are at it. Here is my current axle, I'm building another one right now to replace this one with.

trailrig28qf2.jpg

trailrig29iu1.jpg

trailrig30sz2.jpg

trailrig31lw1.jpg

trailrig33xs5.jpg

Shave that sucker!
axleshave2ni3.jpg

Last edited:
K thanks guys. IDK if I can raise my shock mounts too much but definately want to do it and make the mounts smaller to take up less space. I already shaved the bottom lip used the stock cover and grinded it up to close to it. I'm going to build my own diff cover so I could even shave more. But Ive cleaned the whole axle up good so far and Im ready to start cutting/welding.

How did yall get all that paint off in the corner between the tubes and diff housing? I tried to start welding on it but there was still too much paint...

xjtrailrider I love the bumpstop plate. I might have to steal your idea on it LOL.

How did yall get all that paint off in the corner between the tubes and diff housing? I tried to start welding on it but there was still too much paint...

xjtrailrider I love the bumpstop plate. I might have to steal your idea on it LOL.

Dewalt makes some brushes that will work with a right angle 4" grinder, check at Lowes. Thats how i cleaned mine up.

Copy it! I got the idea from DPG and others on here. I'm using the up-country bump stops on the frame along with the adjustables.

completely independant of this thread, i'm going to be doing just about the same thing to my new 8.25. tonight and tomorrow. maybe not the shock relocation, but i'd like to. looks good.

Well, I plasma'd off the shock mounts and welded the diff to the tubes.

I'm going to just cut down the stock shock mount. I cut it off and will cut it to make the shocks mount about 1" higher. And I've got to rig up something on the one side cuz the threads on the bolt are jacked up. More work for another day though...Got family Xmas party....

Back