• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those of you WITHOUT a roof rack...

I Fill up b/f hitting the trail. Never been on a ride longer than 21 gallons worth, or that far out in BFE w/no gas stations!!

Just make sure you always wheel with at least one other vehicle...and carry a siphon hose.

The only trail that I carry a gas can on is the Rubicon Trail, and I keep it inside the XJ. I've never needed the extra gas, but on the last trip, a friend "borrowed" my gas.

If you carry it inside, i would only put 4 gallons in a 5 gal can...This way if it seals tight it won't leak in your jeep...

PS No smoking lol

the thing is i swapped my gauges and i really don't trust the gas gauge. just want to be sure

Test it a few times. Watch the mileage, and the gauge. Keep track of where the gauge is, and how much gas it takes.

I had to do the same when I changed my pump and sender: Once the needle comes off "Full," I've really only got a half tank left, and once it reads half, I've only got a quarter. Now that I know this, I can plan accordingly.

And like Randy said, fill up when you can. 20 gallons will take you a long way...

Robert

Do like Wrenchmonkey says. Any new vehicle, I always test. When your driving around town, run her down to about 1/8 of a tank. Then fill it up. Mine took less than 17 gallons, so I have a pretty good idea now. If your really paranoid, carry a small (1 or 2 gallon can around while you do this). Or an option is to try it first at 1/2 tank. If your results are good, try the 1/8 tank thing. Carrying extra gas inside on the trail will usually result in spilllage.

Just an idea, and I'm not sure how well this would end up... but you could get some ratchet straps and rig it up to attach to the back hatch. As long as you don't back into anything, it *should* be fine. I've never tested this, but just thinking of cheap ways to mount it outside the cab.

If you do keep it in the cab, keep your windows open a crack to vent.

I put mine in the passenger rear corner. You know those 2 or 3 clips that are for the cargo net thing on that side? Attach bungee cords to those and bungee cord the gas can in. You'll want to make sure you have the can bungee corded in there as tight as possible, I thought mine was in there good, I hit a big bump in the desert and spilled gas everywhere.

I put mine in the passenger rear corner. You know those 2 or 3 clips that are for the cargo net thing on that side? Attach bungee cords to those and bungee cord the gas can in. You'll want to make sure you have the can bungee corded in there as tight as possible, I thought mine was in there good, I hit a big bump in the desert and spilled gas everywhere.
Could also do some attachment either to the spare tire (if you have it mounted inside) or else take out the spare tire and set up some sort of attachment to the spare loops.

Just be safe, spend some money an buy a bumper..What is your life worth? You got kids?
jack.jpg

I know this isn't what you want to hear... I just wanted to be safe inside my jeep

I'm still not convinced you need to carry one, but if you really want to, I would definitely find a way to put it outside.

It wouldn't have to be a full bumper. You could just get one of those little cargo racks that rides in your 2" receiver.

Robert

I'm still not convinced you need to carry one, but if you really want to, I would definitely find a way to put it outside.

It wouldn't have to be a full bumper. You could just get one of those little cargo racks that rides in your 2" receiver.

Robert
That is, if you have a 2" receiver...

One more thing to put on my gunkyard list.

I always have extra gas.

Okay, I give, OH ain't CO... Maybe you do need one.

But midwest or out west, you DO need a decent recovery point. Invest in that receiver!

(I got mine, a "Quality S" off ebay, for about $100...)

Robert

Back