• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper help please!

jphoto

NAXJA Forum User
ok, my problem is removing the stock bumper. the bolts are seized the F@#% up. All I've accomplished in trying to remove them with a wrench was round them off.

I'm pretty much left with one option. trying to sawzall each bolt off, which doesn't seem pleasant.

Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.

First if they are still useable, i.e. they arent totally rounded off, hit em with heat, till theyre orange, then i usually squirt some hydraulic jack oil or somthin in there and it goes all the way up the thread. wax works too.then wrench

Second, if totally rounded off, repeat step one but use vice grips.

Third, weld somthing on to trhe head you can get a grip on, like a nut or somthing. then heat then oil then wrench.

if they're rounded off, you're probably using the wrong size.

clearly, you've never worked on a vehicle from new england. the correct size socket can be used and the bolt will fall apart in the socket, if it's rusty enough. ask me how i know that. :banghead:

First if they are still useable, i.e. they arent totally rounded off, hit em with heat, till theyre orange, then i usually squirt some hydraulic jack oil or somthin in there and it goes all the way up the thread. wax works too.then wrench
Second, if totally rounded off, repeat step one but use vice grips.
Third, weld somthing on to trhe head you can get a grip on, like a nut or somthing. then heat then oil then wrench.
1) If they are even starting to be rounded off, why reuse them? If you get them to the point they are orange, don't reuse them. You've just changed the properties of the bolt (annealed it essentially) and they are no longer the G8 or G5 they used to be.
2) If I can't get them with a wrench, vise grips usually don't to the trick. A bolt/stud remove does though.
3) Good Idea.
if they're rounded off, you're probably using the wrong size.
Or he used a 12point when he should have been using a 6point.
clearly, you've never worked on a vehicle from new england. the correct size socket can be used and the bolt will fall apart in the socket, if it's rusty enough. ask me how i know that. :banghead:
Ya.. unfortunately salt sucks. :(

Sometimes there is so much deteriation to the bolt head that you have to guess at the best size and beat it on with a hammer. Then apply heat if the normal breakaway petroleum products don't do it. Or breakawy and heat!!!!!!!

1) If they are even starting to be rounded off, why reuse them? If you get them to the point they are orange, don't reuse them. You've just changed the properties of the bolt (annealed it essentially) and they are no longer the G8 or G5 they used to be.
2) If I can't get them with a wrench, vise grips usually don't to the trick. A bolt/stud remove does though.
3) Good Idea.
Or he used a 12point when he should have been using a 6point.

Ya.. unfortunately salt sucks. :(

I didnt say reuse them...just to get'm off. Any if its properly heated and the grease/oil/wax got in, vise grips work nicely

this isn't quite on topic of the original post, but it's still related. last night i installed my trailer hitch and gas tank skid. to do this, i had to install nut strips which meant removing the rear bumper and its brackets. well, seeing as how it's a jeep and not a pretty car, i drilled 2 holes in the bumper to make getting at the top 2 holes that the stud goes through much easier. a long 15mm socket on a 3/8 extension through the hole worked like a charm. i misaligned the holes a bit from my initial drilled holes, but with a BFH and a set of punches, i fixed it. perhaps i'll snap some pics if i get around to it one of these days.

Back