• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Heat Shield Question

xj9687

NAXJA Forum User
Heres my question...my dad has a 98 cherokee and i have a 96 both with the 4.0...his runs a straight 190-200(temperature wise) all the time barely ever running any hotter than 210 even after idling for a while...with mine it runs around 195-210 and whenever i sit in traffic and idle it runs up around 220-225...i was looking the other day and on his hood there is nothing on it just the metal hood...on mine there is a heat shield or something im not exactly sure what it is...i was wondering if my jeep would run any cooler if i took that thing off...any input would help...thanks in advance for any info.

I ripped mine out,but installed hood vents at the same time. So I don't know if it made any difference. I have read that the insulation was put in because of the paint decay problem. I don't know for sure. I've been running with out it since 2003 & haven't noticed any problems with the paint. Maybe because it is white.:dunno: JIM.

If it's what Im thinking it is, I believe they also are designed to fall down ontop of the engine incase of a fire and help put the fire out. Not sure if there's any truth behind that or not.

xj9687 said:
thats what i was thinking but why is it in a 96 and not a 98...idk but thanks

I think it was a cheapening/lightening issue... removed with the '97 redesign IIRC.

I always thought the PRIMARY purpose of the hood pad was sound-deadening... and with the XJ's gradual march "downmarket" such luxury features got the axe, one by one...

Den

I've found that a denim replacement hood liner works great.
The lighter, the better.
Stone washed reflects heat best.

His cooling system is probably less "gunked" up than yours is. My '88 MJ runs about 190 all year, but it also has a 2 core ALum. rad in it with a 190 T-stat. My wifes '88 LImtied usually runs about 210-230 in the summer, then, as it gets cooler outside it runs cooler. It is running the old style cooling system. Her XJ is getting a "flush" this evening, so hopefully that will help it with the funny temps. that it runs. Have you tried "flushing" your system? ( cooling sytem on the XJ, don't really want to know about your system :p)

Back