• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel size

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
what size wheels are you guys running with 33/12.50/15 inch tires?

I have 15x7 black steel wheels on 31's right now and i want to go up to 33's. would it be fine to run these wheels with 33's?

You -can- do 15x7 with 33's, but 15x8 will work better.

As was stated, backspacing is a bigger concern. Stock wheels have 5.25" backspacing, which -barely- works with 11.5" tires, and I don't think you'll get by with 12.5" tires.

i used a 1.25" spacer and it worked fine with 33's. even now i have 35's on stock 7" whells and 1.25" spacers and its fine, not recomended by alot of people but its not that big of a deal.

Isn't the manufacturer's suggested size for any 12.5" wide tire a minimum of a 8" rim? I think if you go with a 7" rim you will get uneven tire wear at the center of the tread pattern due to the side walls being "sucked in". I run a 10" wide rim with 12.5 tires for good sidewall flex

Isn't the manufacturer's suggested size for any 12.5" wide tire a minimum of a 8" rim? I think if you go with a 7" rim you will get uneven tire wear at the center of the tread pattern due to the side walls being "sucked in". I run a 10" wide rim with 12.5 tires for good sidewall flex

You would getter better sidewall flex and less chance to blow a bead with 8's.

The rule of thumb is rim width x4. a 12.50 width is not reccomended on a 7" rim. so yourself a favor and go to a 8" rim. i know someone will say they run it. but it's not a good idea.

With stock size rim even with 31's usually rub on the LCA's on sharp turns so 33's are really out of the question. Wheel spacers are kinda iffy and IMO unsafe especially up front and are notorious for causing vibs. That being said I run 15x8" on my xj with 33/12.50/15's. 10" wheels would be nicer but are heavier and stick out more, increasing overall width and need for larger flares to cover them to be legal.

thanks guys! i will definitely get some new wheels then.
:cheers:

Back