• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fault in Power Distrobution Center

cerealdaemon

NAXJA Forum User
I have an amp draw on the 30 amp fuse circuit on the bottom row (closest to the fender) on my '96. This, I believe is what is causing the GEN light to be on consistantly. There is only one 30 amp fuse on the bottom row, so I need to know what accessories are run off of this circuit.

I know that I have amp draw because I put a voltage indicator light between the terminal and the cable of the negative side of the battery. Ideally, this shouldn't light up at all, as its a ground. It does however light up and when I pull this fuse the light goes away. This tells me that I have an amp draw on this circuit that is sapping my battery.

When I remove this fuse and try to start the engine, there is no ignition happening, however the aux fan comes on and stays on until I stop trying to crank it.

Right now, I can't really drive my xj because my batt dies on me all the time. So please let me know what accessories run on this circuit and I'll try to diagnose this as best as I can. Thanks for your help.

Check your inittab.

:D

I'm not sure that you are diagnosing this correctly.
If I have it correct, that fuse supplies power to the ECU, and the ABS system.

Which would explain the no-start.

Best way to diagnose this type of problem is with a multimeter(current meter)--see post below.

Does the battery not die if you pull the fuse?

Last edited:
RTicUL8 said:
....Put the ammeter in series with the battery’s positive terminal. The current across the meter should be below 100 milliamps (ma) or so. The car’s computer, radio and clock will draw a very small amount of current to keep their memory. They’ll take months to discharge the battery. But a total discharge, like you’re seeing overnight, requires at least 500 ma, or more like 1 to 2 amps. Start pulling fuses from the fuse box one at a time until you find the offending circuit. Now it’s just a matter of figuring what’s staying on. Odds are a glovebox or trunk light switch is stuck. Aftermarket alarm systems are notorious for sucking batteries. You’ll just have to systematically subdivide the electrical system until you find where the current is going.

no, the battery doesn't die, it just doesn't lose its charge

what is on that circuit? I'm thinking that one of the accessories is grounding out or short circuiting.

I'll look at the ammeter thing as well

Back