• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's working! my trickle panel.

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo Jeepers. Yes, I know it is done before.

/www.fototime

It's not my daily driver, so it is for the little normal drains. :yap:
The connection is direct to the battery.

Last edited:
I like that. How much power do you get from that. I should have done that to my XJ a long time ago.

My Optima yellow top have gone completely dead on me three times before. I left the XJ in the US and go overseas for extended periods. Each time an over night charge at 3 AMP revived it. Now I am in the Caribbean again 8 months. The Optima will be dead when I return to the US. I know that at some time fate will be against me and the Optima will refuse to come back to life. :(:tear:

I look into getting a solar charger when the battery is dead but as soon as the XJ come to life that idea is killed. :twak: An 18 to 20 watts at 15 volts DC should do the trick ($200.00 USD). I need to get off my lazy behing and do something soon,..... I will be back in the US in time to do my taxes. :patriot:

Are you disconnecting your Optima? Maybe there's a small parasitic drain?

Yea, the radio, the clock, the alarm,the PCM, ..... What did I forget?

Why don't you just buy a 1.5 amp battery companion there like $18.00 at Wal-Mart. They charge the battery and turn off when fully charged. When battery get's below 70% it will kick on charge up and kick off. I have one for my four wheeler and Jeep they work great.

http://store.schumachermart.com/sem-1562a.html

Yes. That's also a good idea.
But I can't place my car near an electric point. And I am very lazy.
The panel (glass) is also usefull to place my GPS. :laugh3:

Also thanks to Winterbeater.

Techno 1154: It is a small panel. max output 17,5 Volt. (85-100 mA). The price is 10 euros!

Last edited:
The little charger is cool if you are in a garage, but if you park outside somewhere, the solar would be the way to go. No wires running to vehicle.

The XJ is parked in the driveway. The guys who do the lawn run over lawn sprinklers, toys, water hose (did I miss anything?) with that ride-on-mower of theirs. You know what? A good 110 volt jolt may be what they need to get their brain in gear. :D

I use a 2 amp Battery Tender mounted under the hood on both trail rigs and leave them hooked up when I'm not driving them. One of my red tops is 10 years old now and no issues. The problems with Optima's is you cant completely kill them more than a few times and you have to charge them slow, 2 amps or less if you do.

I like the idea with the solar panel, if I didn't have the rigs wired so all I had to do was plug them in and they are parked right next to outdoor outlets, I would do the same.

Hey Wim,
Great job with the panel. Just curious, does your XJ by chance have the "executive package"? I saw one a while back from Europe that was all blacked out and woodgrain on the inside like yours, I believe it had a special Europe-only "Executive Package". Report back when you get a minute.
Thanks,
Collin

If I was leaving it parked outside for months while out of the country I would take the battery out and place in the garage on a trickle charger. It makes it a lot harder for a thief to steal your Jeep if he has to bring a battery for your jeep to steal it. That makes you neighbors vehicles a lot more appealling to the thief which keeps YOUR Jeep in YOUR driveway.

Here is my set up, from Solargizer.

attached the panel with velcro
solar01.jpg

mounted the controller to the headlight relay panel
solar02.jpg

"Solargizer" Never heard of it. I like to solar charger idea. Plug it up and forget it. It will also make those 'Tree Huggers' happy.

I was going for the higher amp pannel/s because I have dual Optima batteries although only one is connected to the XJ electronics all the time. Talk about my alarm/anti-theft device. Wiith a dead battery, that is just great. :(

Solargizer is used by the Army and the NC Highway Patrol. They have a website, I think the parent company is Pulsetech.

Anyone know just how important it is to use a "controller" with your solar panel? I have a VW transport solar panel I want to use that plugs right into a 12V cigar lighter outlet, just like the Harbor Freight one in the above link. Can I use it as is, or is it necessary to use a controller with it?

Thanks. I couldn't really come to any sort of conclusion after spending some time on the web. Seemed many places that had the solar panels also sold the controllers, but none of the solar panel listings I looked at indicated that a controller was needed to use them.

Back