• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interchangability of "Wing" Windows

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Some nice people were kind enough to modify my '88 XJ (2 door) by smashing out the driver's side wing window, snapping the plastic gauge surround in half, and taking the stereo. Does anyone know if the wing windows (or frame) from years other than 87-89 would fit my '88 XJ? Dealer wants $267 for a new one (includes the window frame), but can only vouch that the windows from a 87-89 will fit my vehicle, although he suggested that other years might work (but couldn't confirm what, if anything had changed in 1990 and out).

I want to start searching the yards for a replacement, but would like to know what years will fit.

The only real difference in the wing windows that open is that the latch "style" changed in appearence, other than that they are they same until the end of '96. The are realitivly easy to change, too.

Can you replace the whole wing window/fake deal with a solid window from a later model? Or would swapping the doors be the only way? My wife hates the fake wings, and personally to me they are more of a hindrance than anything. Idiots put the mirror right where the post is dead center of it.

What I meant was that the latch "style" is what changes, and as for the working wing windows, according to the Hollander interchange maunal, they were an optional item, hence the reason that they seem to be a sporadic thing to find.
You CAN put the late model glass in the early model door, but you need to transfer the ENTIRE mounting set up for the late model glass, so the best option seems to change the complete door out.

Well, maybe the latch style is why the dealer was saying something changed in 1990. I do, or did, have the working wing windows. Assuming I can find one, would replacing the frame and all be the best way to put a new window in? Do the different style latches mate up to different style frames?

The frame for the vent window is also the channel for the roll down window. If you want to change out the whole assembly you will need to remove the inside door panel to get to the lower attaching bolt. You deciede if it is worth the effort.
When I'm "done" swaping / adding factory parts my '96 it will be one of those "oddly optioned" Cherokees. 2wd SE w/factory skids, hitch, center roof console, full gauges and whatever else bolts on.

Back