• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I get a pre-oiler?

Crewdude007

NAXJA Forum User
Since installing my new lift and tires in October, my rig hasn't moved much except to go wheeling about once a month. I try to start the engine and drive it around at least once a week, but sometimes that doesn't happen. I'm concerned that I may be dry-starting the engine by letting it sit for a week or longer. Has anybody else installed a pre-oiler? Is it necessary for the longevity of the engine? I searched already, but couldn't find much feedback on this. Thanks!

Buddy of mine has an Accusump on his XJ. It's an 89 with a...4.6(?)L stroker. I've been on the trail with him and watched videos of him in Moab in awful off-camber junk that made other rigs smoke. His never sputtered and moved just fine.

I can't tell you exactly what he runs, just that it's a nifty auto setup with a manual cutoff. I do know that he had to use a cone filter intake to get the reservoir to fit properly. As to whether you should do it...well it certainly won't hurt anything. :) If I had the $$ and the need (like you seem to!) then I'd do it.

http://www.accusump.com/

P2030035.JPG

P2030039.JPG

No pre oiler is needed for a jeep that sits only a month at a time. now if it were a year then maybe. If your not going to use it then do not start it and just keep the battery charged for when you will drive it.Every start up and run cause's acids to form in the oil that will do more harm than if you just drove it when you need it.

No pre oiler is needed for a jeep that sits only a month at a time. now if it were a year then maybe. If your not going to use it then do not start it and just keep the battery charged for when you will drive it.Every start up and run cause's acids to form in the oil that will do more harm than if you just drove it when you need it.

Half marks. Acids and such will form and remain if the oil never gets up to operating temperature.

Ideally, you'll want to start it and maybe take a 20-30 minute drive about once every other week - this gets the oil up to heat, and also boils off the water (condensation) that will accumulate. And it keeps the gaskets and seals wet on the top end of the engine (valve guide seals tend to dry out and shrink after a few weeks, and it's easy to prevent. Ditto the valve cover gasket.)

Oil gets up to operating temperature after about 10-15 minutes, as a rule (unless it's very cold outside.) The time after that would be considered "boil-off" time - where you're literally "boiling off" any condensation and such that formed while the engine was sitting.

You'll also be wetting down the gaskets and seals (so they don't shrink and leak,) and keeping the bearings lubricated (in everything - spinning them will help circulate whatever lubricant they use. Especially in engine accessories - like the alternator, A/C compressor, idler pullys, power steering, ...)

Do you need a "pre-oiler?" Probably not - just kick it over every now and again. Pressurised auxiliary sumps are primarily used for things like heavy off-camber terrain (as ECKSJAY mentioned - the pressure sump takes over when the oil pump pickup sucks air, and it helps keep the pump "backprimed" when that happens...) or you can install a metered orifice and use it as a "shutdown oiler" for a turbocharger.

But, just starting and going for a shortish drive fortnightly will take care of what you're trying to do.

Back