• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD DASH LIGHTS INOP?

Mikes99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So my '99 4.0 NP231 doesnt show up on the dash when its in 4wd.. is this normal? I know the shifting into 4wd and such works fine since its snowing out here and I can see that it works.. but no lights.. is it just a sensor Im thinking?

Either the bulb, the wires or the 4x4 indicator switch on the Tcase. Use a paper clip in the wire connector at the Tcase to test the wires and bulb.

97 and newer have an electrically operated switch for the 4x4 lamp.

On the early 1980's Cherokees they ran a vacuum hose from the Tcase up to a vacuum switch for the 4x4 light. It is on the passengers fender well just in front of the heater blower or maybe below the coolant tank.

On the late 1980's-early 1990's Cherokee, they simplified it and put a switch on the axle at the vacuum disconnect.

Check that your Vacuum hoses and switch wires are not damaged and that they are all hooked up. And of course, check that the bulb works.

Back