• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funny thing happened yesterday

TheWarWagon

NAXJA Forum User
Well, since it was raining- I couldn't ride the DRZ to work. So I hop in my jeep, and fire it up. Warmed it up for about 10 minutes, and put it in gear. It goes about 5 feet, stumbles then dies. Bear in mind, it idled fine in both Park and Neutral. On my way to and from work, I would have to put it in neutral, to keep it from dying at stop signs. I'm guessing it's in the tranny, but are there any less expensive fixes?

Last edited:
Torque converter staying locked up?

mine does the same thing when i dont drive it for a couple days. i dunno what it is but its annoying. i just keep giving it gas, and try to hot rod it a little bit to burn off whatever might be built up in the combustion chamber. :dunno:

what year is yours again?

could be a couple of things but id check:
1. Fuel filter
2. Fuel pump - check pressure at the fuel rail
3. Clogged INjector
4. Choke?
5. Ignition issues (hows your disty cap n rotor?)
6. Vacuum leak
7. how are your spark plugs?

what year is yours again?
Chit, sorry. '96 4.0 Aw4. 131,xxx

could be a couple of things but id check:
1. Fuel filter-only maybe 1.5 years old
2. Fuel pump - check pressure at the fuel rail- haven't checked
3. Clogged INjector- i'm thinking of running some seafoam through this weekend
4. Choke?- how would I check this issue.
5. Ignition issues (hows your disty cap n rotor?)-but wouldn't that affect idle regardless of whether or not i'm in gear?
6. Vacuum leak- VERY possible
7. how are your spark plugs?- could maybe use new ones.

That's the thing that is driving me nuts, why does it run fine it P, N, and R?

Get it scanned & make sure you don't have a torque converter lock-up solenoid code. If it's staying locked up, it will die as soon as you put it in drive but will run fine in park & neutral, not sure about reverse.

Did you check the loose nut behind the wheel? :dunno:

Sounds like torque converter to me. Pricey to fix though. This happened on my Hyundai, and even though it's a way different tranny, it's still the same issue. Get it to a tech and tell him to check the torque converter solenoid, or the torque converter as a whole.

Back