• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring bushing install in 10 minutes flat- ALL FOUR!

soarhead25

NAXJA Forum User
So I was pondering how I was going to get these things in there. (Never having to replace them before).
I've read the threads, saw the pics, don't have a press yet, but do have the Harbor Freight ball joint/u-joint installer. Really didn't want to do it that way, and possibly ruin the rubber, so I used this method, and I was finished in under 10 minutes with all 4.
The trick is to use two slim flat blade screwdrivers, opening the eye just enough to slide in the bushing with a little WD and a small hammer. Center the bushing and swing out the screwdrivers- plink-plink-done. NO damage to rubber, eyelet pin, or leaf.

I really dont think it puts any undue stress on the leafs, as you are only opening the leaf up to the bushing size anyway. Could probably use this method to remove bushings as well. (More WD & bigger hammer). I checked out the stock leafs and they have the same deesign as these OME's. Not sure about others, they may be tapered at the eyelet.

Just though I'd share with ya guys and give something back-

bushing.jpg

now go try that with some 10year old rusted leaf springs. LOL

by looking at your picture, i would guess the #1 reason why it went in 10 minutes was because the leaf and the bushings where brand new and not all rusted and beat.

Back