• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading Hella 500 Wiring For Dummies.

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to throw some higher wattage bulbs in my Hella 500ff's, but after looking at the wiring decided it was waayyy under par to handle some 130-150 watt bulbs. So I took them apart and re-wired the tiny 14 or 16 gauge wires with some hefty 10 gauge. Just thought I would document my littl project if anyone else was wondering about it... Oh it EXTREMELY easy and self explanatory, but I though some people on here aren't very adventurous so this will clear any questioning or doubt up.

First you have to take the lights completely apart. You'll find the bucket, the actual housing, the bulb, a rubber grommet, and the ground and power leads.
DSC02204.jpg

Next you needs to select a wire that is suitable for your application. I chose some high quality 10awg gas/oil resistant speaker cable I had laying around. This made it easier to slide through the grommet because it was joined in parallel. You may have to slice the little wire separator in the middle of the grommet. This makes to little holes into one bigger one.
DSC02205.jpg

Next is probably the hardest part of the install. You have to get the grommet with the next oversized wires though it back into the bucket. Be careful not to rip it. Some WD40 made this very easy.
DSC02206.jpg

Slide any excess wire carefully back out the back of the bucket. With the WD40 on the grommet it should slide like butter. You want about 6-8 inches in front of the grommet to connect your new crimp disconnects.

I used some nice ones from Pep-Boys, about $3 a box. The right angle ones are just like the ones that came on the stock wiring, and have nice plastic shields over them. On the positive lead I used a spade connector just like they had before. Make sure the crimp or solder is done well to prevent any problems down the road. Also note, I kept the stock rubber cover for the power lead as well. Just for kicks.
DSC02207.jpg

Now re-install the bulb of you choice and fit the entire housing and new wiring back into the bucket. You may have to wiggle it around a bit to find the best fit, but the wires do fit in the stock location.
DSC02208.jpg

Here they are finished... I also recommend putting a water-tight automotive connector on the other end of the new wire. I'm not a fan of crimps when they are going to be exposed to harsh environments.
DSC02209.jpg

The 130 watt bulbs seem to be all over. Susquehanna has some for pretty cheap. Napa should also. I found the 150 watt ones on ebay for $30, but the come in sets of 4 or 8.

Can you post a link to the higher watt bulbs that fit in these? I have been reading up on this, but I'm still very confused about what bulbs you can upgrade to. I have these same lights.
Thanks

Are the housings able to stand up to the additional heat output of the 130w bulbs? I have heard that some lights use the same housings between 55w and 130w models and some lights use different housings. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

I haven't had a problem with them yet. Mine are only 100watt, but they housings are fine. The heat is reflected off the back of the metallic housing, and pushed through the glass. So the front of the light receives the most heat. That being said, if you leave your covers on with the lights on THEY WILL MELT. But, the plastic back should be fine.

OVERKILL but to each there own ....the wire that feeds the bulb (soldered to bulb) is still what 12ga. so what is the use ...what does the relay wiring look like did you use the wire provided with the lighting kit?? or did you upgrade that as well to say 10ga. power and grounds with a 12 to 14 ga trigger wire ??

BUT ......I LIKE THE BLUE COLOR!!!

Well hopefully the wire the manufacturer soldered to the 100w bulb is capable of carrying 100w. :spin1:

He upgraded the wire that carries the power to the bulb. That would be the only weak link assuming he ran 10 gauge to the lights themselves...hopefully from a relay.

Well hopefully the wire the manufacturer soldered to the 100w bulb is capable of carrying 100w. :spin1:

He upgraded the wire that carries the power to the bulb. That would be the only weak link assuming he ran 10 gauge to the lights themselves...hopefully from a relay.

I understand what he did but if he did'nt upgrade the WHOLE HARNESS then what is the point ....... but i do like the blue color as stated before !!!
Now he just has to upgrade the whole harness and then it will be just peachy!!!!! but good job anyways!!!!

By harness do you mean the wiring running from the power source to the lights themselves? Basically pre-lights? I assume he did since he mentioned the 10 gauge. You said what's the point if he didn't change the wire soldered to the bulb...I was just saying that since it comes on the bulb, it should handle the bulbs needs. He upgraded the internal wiring to 10 gauge and I'm assuming he upgraded (if needed) the wiring TO the lights so he's fine if he did that.

I never use the harnesses...I have a relay box and I just run my own power wire to the accessory (light in this case) using 10 gauge and call it a day! Easy as pie!!!

Guys guys guys, come on now. It's the same gauge all the way back, wired up to a fitchbox. I'm not gonna beef up the end connection and half ass everything else! :)

I have had the main leads coming from the box upgraded for a while, but it's completely pointless if the wire is only going to get funneled down to a smaller gauge at the light itself.

So now instead of having relay> big wire> small wire> bulb wire
it's relay> big wire> big wire> bulb wire

Can you post up a link to the upgraded bulb? Thanks.

You can upgrade any light with a britter bulb. In the OP case he is using the Hella 500 housing so stick with the H3 bulb just higher wattage. Higher wattage H3 bulbs are everywhere. What I'm tring to say is maybe search, you'll find what you need.

You can upgrade any light with a britter bulb. In the OP case he is using the Hella 500 housing so stick with the H3 bulb just higher wattage. Higher wattage H3 bulbs are everywhere. What I'm tring to say is maybe search, you'll find what you need.

Brighter bulb is what I wanted to to say........ It's the I-phones fault.

I guess where I'm confused is on this: Is H3 a style of bulb, such that any bulb you get that's an H3 will fit in the hole in the 500? Or, is H3 some type of rating, where you might have an H3 that does not fit in the Hella 500?

Back