• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Gears

jeepxj4play

NAXJA Forum User
I am ready to order new gears for my jeep, (94 xj sport, 4.0, auto, 4" lift, 33" boggers) I want to get them from 4 wheel parts (4wheelparts.com), but their site makes it a little difficult to find what I want. Maybe I am missing something.The only reason I want to buy from 4 Wheel Parts is because I have a $100 gift card I need to use from there. I have bought a couple of other things from them before and havent had much luck. They dont seem to know anything more about XJs the their computers will tell them. I am pretty new to this. I have a D-30 and xj D-44. I am wanting 4.56 or 4.88 which ever I can get. The rear will be welded if that makes a difference and this is a trail rig only, no street. Can someone point me in the right direction on the gear choices on their site and what else am I going to need to go from stock 3.55 i think to the lower gears?

Model shouldn't matter. Just make sure your getting gears for a HP30. Reverse cut. And standard rotation 44. You will also need master install kits for both. Plus, you will more than likely need new carriers because of going from 3.55's to 4.88's. If you have to replace the 44 carrier check that price against going with a full spool. Just another option.

Indeed, you need to buy new carriers front and rear, as well as gears.

You're also going to need to find a gear guy to install them - this is not a 'do it yourself' task, even on a trail rig.

You'll probably find your gear guy can buy them cheaper than you'll get them from 4wp, even with your gift card.

Gear setup guys are few and far between around there. :) I'll ask my dad he might know someone. He just retired from Parr/Mahle in Winterset. 4WP's price is well, eh....

Last edited:
Gear setup guys are few and far between around there. :) I'll ask my dad he might know someone. He just retired from Parr/Mahle in Winterset.

Few or not, if someone is asking which gears to buy, they aren't qualified to be installing them.

Few or not, if someone is asking which gears to buy, they aren't qualified to be installing them.

That's why I said I'd ask my dad. He's got tons of connections in the automotive business around Des Moines. Problem with the rear 44 is that you'll need to spread the case requiring special tools, and you'll need a new carrier. You'll also need a carrier for the front. I just realized you said just a trail rig. Where's the trails? :)

Last edited:
I would PM "National Drivetrain" for gears. Im sure he could get you everything you need cheaper then 4WP could. Eric is top notch to work with.

my. 02

Randy's is good too. But Cal is right, if you haven't done them, you'll need help, and special tools to do them. I'd help you out, but I'm in CA, and don't know the next time I'll be in Prole/Spring Hill. You might also contact AJ at AJ's offroad armor, he may know someone that does gears in Iowa.

Thanks for the help guys. I have a friend that does have experience in doing this who is going to help me. I just wanted to make sure I got everything I needed to do it, because parts are had to find in stock around here. We want to do it in a weekend and the closest parts store that is open on the weekends is 30 miles away. If you could make me a shopping list that would be great!

Dana 30 gears
Dana 44 gears
dana 30 master install kit
dana 44 master install kit
dana 44 axle seals
dana 44 wheel bearings
(do it all at once..)
4 cans carb cleaner
2 rolls of rags
6 quarts of diff fluid
2 tubes of RTV
OEM dana 30 axle seals (some kits dont come with them, and the ones that do are lower quality)

Axle Seals and Axle Bearings are optional. Check your shafts and make sure the splines are straight. It won't hurt to change the axle bearings/seals while you're doing it but it's not required. If you have someone that can do it, they should know all this. I _WOULD_ replace the front axle inner seals while you had it apart. Also, you don't mention whether it's a disconnect or non disconnect front housing.

Add to your list:

Dana 44 Carrier 3.92 and up: DS 706025
Dana 30 Carrier 3.73 and up: don't have that pn handy. :)

Make sure you have everything, because none of the parts stores back there have squat without ordering it in. NAPA off Hubble may, but hey, that's 30+ miles away, and they're not open on Sundays... :)

Last edited:
Axle Seals and Axle Bearings are optional. Check your shafts and make sure the splines are straight. It won't hurt to change the axle bearings/seals while you're doing it but it's not required. If you have someone that can do it, they should know all this. I _WOULD_ replace the front axle inner seals while you had it apart. Also, you don't mention whether it's a disconnect or non disconnect front housing.

Add to your list:

Dana 44 Carrier 3.92 and up: DS 706025
Dana 30 Carrier 3.73 and up: don't have that pn handy. :)

Make sure you have everything, because none of the parts stores back there have squat without ordering it in. NAPA off Hubble may, but hey, that's 30+ miles away, and they're not open on Sundays... :)
Yeah.but you would be an absolute FOOL not to.You spend all that money and want to take a chance on used bearings/seals that cost about 35$ and could cause your new gears/bearings to fail???

Back