• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Dash Light

felisonca

NAXJA Forum User
For 5 years My XJ displayed the Check Engine Light & no one could locate the problem until I noticed a sizeable fuel leak while on a trip. I took it to a Dodge dealer in Tucson,they replaced the fuel pump,cleared the codes and we drove to Pennsylvania & returned w/o the check engine light displayed.My mechanic was advised of the corrections , he told me every XJ he's worked on has had the check engine light on and nothing is listed in any of the jeep tech manuals about the fuel pump emission leak problem.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure what you're getting at....is your check engine light back on?

And as for your mechanic saying every XJ he's worked on having the check engine light on, that is pretty hard to swallow. Any technician worth their salt should be able to isolate a problem with a check engine light on.

I've worked on plenty of XJs both with and without check engine lights. And if there is a check engine light, the code has always been valuable in isolating the root cause of the problem and we've always been able to get the check engine light to go off after repairs.

There are specific codes relating to emissions leaks/unburned hydrocarbons, etc.; you just have to know how to interpret them. Not always straight forward sometimes....

Not exactly sure what you're getting at....is your check engine light back on?

And as for your mechanic saying every XJ he's worked on having the check engine light on, that is pretty hard to swallow. Any technician worth their salt should be able to isolate a problem with a check engine light on.

I've worked on plenty of XJs both with and without check engine lights. And if there is a check engine light, the code has always been valuable in isolating the root cause of the problem and we've always been able to get the check engine light to go off after repairs.

There are specific codes relating to emissions leaks/unburned hydrocarbons, etc.; you just have to know how to interpret them. Not always straight forward sometimes....
No, the pump replacement corrected the problem.

SO how did you pass the CA Smog test with codes set and a fuel leak?

Back