• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Trans. looks great with 290,000 ????

hanaxj87

NAXJA Forum User
I need an AW4 trans. for my 96 engine swap. The 96 one is burned up.

I kept this AW4 from a 92 I parted out . The clocked read 290,000 miles . No history on the 92, Other than engine was making noise and leaking fluids .

Removed the pan and this thing looks great ... I'am thinking it's been rebuilt???

Heres some pics.
http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd335/xjwheeling/trans aw4 dec 2008/

The black markings on the valve body? Factory or Rebuilder

I found the torque convertor bolts loose when removing. That ended up being the engine noise. Thinking they have been out at one point.

Since I'am way over budget on the engine and clean as this thing looks . I'am going to give it a try.

What do you all think????

Nick

i believe the rtv shown on the pan in the pictures is factory sealant. i just changed my fluid a couple of years ago (at 67,000 miles) and had the same color orangish red rtv. the orange rtv they sell at big box auto stores is a brighter orange than the factory used rtv you see in the pictures! mike.

p.s. their was an aw4 thread a few years back on naxja and quite a few aw4's made it in to extreme high mileage territory (400k-500k) ,alot of times out lasting the 4.0L, with as little as a solenoid change.

i believe the rtv shown on the pan in the pictures is factory sealant. i just changed my fluid a couple of years ago (at 67,000 miles) and had the same color orangish red rtv. the orange rtv they sell at big box auto stores is a brighter orange than the factory used rtv you see in the pictures! mike.

p.s. their was an aw4 thread a few years back on naxja and quite a few aw4's made it in to extreme high mileage territory (400k-500k) ,alot of times out lasting the 4.0L, with as little as a solenoid change.

Great point on the gasket rtv. I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks

Nick

Back