• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Woops! How to put spring & valve back in power steering pump?

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
While I was at the junkyard, I grabbed a power steering pump off an '89 Cherokee 4.0L. I accidently tipped it upside down and a spring and valve came out of the threaded hole where the top pipe screws in to. How exactly does the spring and valve go back in, and are there more parts that may have fallen out?

While I was at the junkyard, I grabbed a power steering pump off an '89 Cherokee 4.0L. I accidently tipped it upside down and a spring and valve came out of the threaded hole where the top pipe screws in to. How exactly does the spring and valve go back in, and are there more parts that may have fallen out?

pressure relief valve-- should be spring, valve, and fitting in that order--

haven't actually pulled one on an XJ, but for most that's the order.

pressure relief valve-- should be spring, valve, and fitting in that order--

haven't actually pulled one on an XJ, but for most that's the order.

So the only things that could of fallen out are the spring and valve?

Which way does the valve go?

I took a picture, is this how it goes (with the spring on the bottom of the hole) ?

pressurereliefvalvesz8.jpg

Woo seems like a lot of people here are familiar with the power steering pump... NOT.

Haha, I actually googled it a ton and found some pictures of it looking exactly like I have it pictured, so it's correct. Hopefully if this ever happens to someone else, they'll see this thread and know.

sorry- it must have dropped off the first page and I missed it! As you've already found out, you're pic was correct!

You can also play with system pressures a bit by interchanging different spring strengths to alter the "feel" of your steering, but I'm not sure of the compatibility of other vehicles with the XJ pump. The relief valve and spring assby looks like the same type used in most GM products throughout the last 3 decades.

just be careful if you alter the relief valve as you can exceed the system safety margin and start blowing seals if it's too high.

That's cool, I didn't know that. Turned out I also lost the fitting that screws in there, d'oh! I went to the junkyard and found one and it all works now.

When I first started it up, the pump made lots of grinding and moaning noise and the fluid was really foamy, but after multiple startups and turning the steering wheel the noise seemed to go away. I'm guessing there was just air in the system. Works good now though!

Back