• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 XJ 4x4

kd5dwy

NAXJA Forum User
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) 4x4

The time has come to sell my Jeep. I just don't drive it since the kiddo came along. I've spent a TON of time and money fixing this into a very reliable daily-driver vehicle. I've been through almost every system on this Jeep and repaired or replaced everything that wes broken with the exceptions noted toward the bottom of the post. It's time for someone else to take over and enjoy this rig.

I'm asking $1800 which is nowhere near what I have in it, but I think it's reasonable. I will consider reasonable offers, but am not interested in parting out at this time.

Engine: 4.0 Liter In-Line 6 Cylinder
Transmission: AW4 (with 2nd gear lock and torque converter lock)
Transfer Case: NP231 Part-Time (older style with shaft covered by housing)
Front Axle: Dana 30 non-disconnect axle from a '93 Country (3.55 ratio)
Rear Axle: Original Dana 35 (3.55 ratio)
Includes a Cherokee Dana 44 from a 1988 Limited (3.54 ratio) which has been broken down, cleaned and painted. This axle is ready for a disk brake installation and can be swapped in for a bullet-proof drivetrain.
Lift: Rocky Road Outfitters 2" lift (shackles and spacers)

Other Improvements:
Gauge swap (now has tachometer and gauges for vitals instead of idiot lights)
Rear-view mirror replaced
Both door mirrors replaced - mirrors can now be adjusted maunally from insode the vehicle
New, high-quality Grant Steering Wheel (about $100 model - not the cheap ones)
Brown Dog Industries polyurethane motor mounts
Daystar polyurethane transmission mount
All main electrical cables have been replaced with high-quality, custom cables (battery, starter, alternator, alternator ground)
KC off-road lights (100-watt)
Rear-facing off-road lights (55-watt)
Installed OE rear window wiper/washer
Fenders have been cut out for installation of larger tires
Front OE tow hooks
Rear trailer towing 2" receiver
Silverstar headlights
Power Steering fluid cooler
Transmission fluid cooler
Auxiliary fuse block for additional electronics
OE-style entry lights (from an '88 Limited)

Recently Replaced:
Serpentnie Belt
Harmonic Balancer
Power Steering Pump
Power Steering Gear
Power Steering Lines
Power Steering Fluid (synthetic)
Transmission Filter
Transmission Lines
Transmission Fluid (synthetic)
Brake Booster
Brake Master Cylinder
Brake Rotors (front)
Brake Pads (front)
Brake shoes (rear)
Brake Fluid (synthetic)
Gear oil in front and rear differentials (synthetic)
Front drivesaft
Front driveshaft U-joints
Vacuum hose assembly
Crankcase Ventilation assembly
Several fuel injectors have been replaced as needed. Extras are included.
Engine oil replaced regularly with Penzoil and Puralator premium oil filer (extra filter will be included for your next oil change)
A/C Compressor (an extra, working compressor is included if interested)

Outstanding Issues:
Front, driver-side door hinge welds need reinforced (or the doors can be removed)
The A/C system needs charged (if that's important to you)
The tires are a bit old and in need of replacing. I had some nice wheels and tires on here (you can see them below), but I sold them to my brother.

Please PM me with questions, comments and (most importantly) offers.

Here are a few photos - caveats are outlined

dsc_0031_1.jpg

The XJ, not the CJ. The roof rack is not included.

carver-small.JPG

This was before the lift was installed and fenders were cut.

dsc_0827_2.JPG

This is the most recent picture. These wheels/tires have already been sold. It now has the wheels and tires from the previous picture.

jeep_lift.jpg

After the lift was installed and before the fenders were cut.

dsc_0286.JPG

This is from before the fenders were cut.

Thanks,
Dan

Let me talk to my wife about it... She has been looking for an XJ.

Yes there are pics... and yes I can see them.

More pictures (by popular demand):

Also forgot to mention new shock absorbers all around, fire extinguisher and Haynes Manual included...

On a side note, I took it down to the gas station to put in a little juice and everyone was slipping around in the ice - except me! Gotta love that 4WD.

DSC_0398.JPG

Driver's Side - That's not rust on the door. It's adhesive that the PO used to attach the door trim (i opted to remove all of the trim).

DSC_0400.JPG

DSC_0401.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

DSC_0403.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG

DSC_0407.JPG

DSC_0408.JPG

DSC_0411.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG

A bit of ice fell in when I opened the hatch...

Thanks,
Dan

The top switch is the torque converter lock. I almost never use this. In fact, if you have it locked and try to stop, the brakes will stall the engine (if you have good brakes). If you try this in 4-Low, you'll have a fight on your hands (because there is so much more gear reduction torque for the brakes to overcome).

The bottom switch is the second gear lock. I LOVE this mod. Ever try using the engine as a brake when going downhill in an auo XJ? Well, if not, the AW4 when in 1-2 will shift into first whenever possible. This isn't always a good thing. The 2nd gear lock will keep the tranny in second until you decide to drop into first.

It also allows you to drive the XJ like a manual if you want.

Ok I will show all the pics to my wife and see what she says.

Will it make the trip back to Houston?

I've driven it all over Arkansas and through the Ouachita and Ozark National Forests for multi-day trips, so I don't see why it wouldn't make it to Houston. The tires might be an issue, but you'd have to decide for yourself (I tend to be a bit particular about such things).

Sorry I think its a no. My wife said I couldn't sell her van and buy your XJ.

Back