• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear re4.5 leafs fanning?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know why but my rear leaf springs keep fanning out after moderate wheeling. I have a re 4.5 lift with bumps, but with stock shackles. I have a shackle relocation kit coming for near future install. I have been loosening the u bolts straightening the springs and re tightening them, then again after a few hundred miles. ?

Mine do it too, 5.5" and I'm running the boomerang shackle. Other than that, I get a nice angled lean from the passenger side spring. Not jeep lean, spring lean. Yup, I love my RE leafs.

Check your u-bolts,did you replace them when you did the lift?Have you retorqued them lately?Did you upgrade the U-bolt size?

I have the ubolt eliminators. Not sure if that might be the cause or not. It seems like the main leaf is twisted or something. It's been that way since I installed them. I had a heck of a time getting the shackle to line up and now it pulls/leans the shackle to the drive side. I did unbolt it from the axle but it still lines up the same. The eliminators are centered as far as I can tell.

I guess it could be the center pin "head" is sitting funny in the eliminator surface. I'll have to look at it again.

Both sides do fan out though.

Last edited:
i bought some cheapo bolt on leaf clams.

they were only 8 bucks and worked great, hit up your neighborhood parts store.

yea my passenger side leaf is sagging big time, and i checked my left leaf and the bottom 2 leafs seem to be fanning, is there anything i can do to fix it, and is the right leaf influencing my right leaf or what?

Mine do it too, 5.5" and I'm running the boomerang shackle. Other than that, I get a nice angled lean from the passenger side spring. Not jeep lean, spring lean. Yup, I love my RE leafs.

X20
I have the RE 5.5's as well, and I have the lean to the passenger side, (although not as noticable now since I replaced the front springs, one of them was bowed). This is my second set too.

My bottom 2 leaves did the same thing, I actually pulled off the highway one time for no real apparent reason and found that one of them was actually rubbing the inside of my brand new tires (The rims had too much backspacing, so the tires were really close to the leaves). I would definitely look at some clamps.

I have the RE 4.5s and mine is leaning pretty obviously to the passanger side.

It wasn't like that when I first put the lift on a year ago, but has developed since then.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Drive your Jeep to the mall, then drive home and keep parked in driveway.

Make sure when you flex you don't invert the leaf springs. Most of the time when you are going on an RTI ramp, or flexing on something for fun, you drive up it with you drivers side tire so you can see whats going on. This obviously gives the passenger leaf more of a work out.

X20
I have the RE 5.5's as well, and I have the lean to the passenger side, (although not as noticable now since I replaced the front springs, one of them was bowed). This is my second set too.

My bottom 2 leaves did the same thing, I actually pulled off the highway one time for no real apparent reason and found that one of them was actually rubbing the inside of my brand new tires (The rims had too much backspacing, so the tires were really close to the leaves). I would definitely look at some clamps.

I have the RE 4.5s and mine is leaning pretty obviously to the passanger side.

It wasn't like that when I first put the lift on a year ago, but has developed since then.

X4, i have this same thing. Looking from the back, my passenger side rear corner appears to be a tad lower, now a whole lot, just a little bit. This is on 3.5" packs and 1" shackles (by RE, comes out to 4.5-5"). I see others have had this problem too, I dont know anything about this "fanning" you speak of, and not to hijack, but does any one know if this is normal? I cant decide if it is or if my unibody is effed :)

I'd venture a guess to say that if everyone keeps saying that they are experiencing the passenger side leaf sagging, then its normal, and not your unibody.

Drive your Jeep to the mall, then drive home and keep parked in driveway.

:)

Haha... I went over the curb at the mall once to take a poser pic.. maybe that was the problem.

Make sure when you flex you don't invert the leaf springs. Most of the time when you are going on an RTI ramp, or flexing on something for fun, you drive up it with you drivers side tire so you can see whats going on. This obviously gives the passenger leaf more of a work out.

I was wheeling with two passangers once, the one in the back seat was passanger side. He told me at one point it felt like the tire was rubbing on the side of his ass. I guess I probably inverted the spring then. :dunno:

Is there any way to fix this besides new springs? Mine are just over a year old.

Bump stop so that you don't invert them in the future.

You could try calling RE and see if they will warranty the parts, they might. I was going to do this, with my first set from my 4.5" kit, I just never got around to it. My friend's 3.5" rear sat higher than my 4.5" kit.

Bump stop so that you don't invert them in the future.

You could try calling RE and see if they will warranty the parts, they might. I was going to do this, with my first set from my 4.5" kit, I just never got around to it. My friend's 3.5" rear sat higher than my 4.5" kit.

Was it a 4.5 from RE or from another company?
In any case, yes rubicon springs give you more than whats listed

X20

Do you have the jeep lean or the spring lean? I know it's normal to get a jeep sag/lean to that side because of the driveline force. My spring is leaning though. Like the main is twisted.

Back