• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny pressure modification

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I read the posts on the "zip tie mod" and saw no way it could really work with the automatic adjuster. So I thought if you pressed the button on the automatic adjuster down and connected a spring onto the cable, it would keep full pressure on cable at all times and not affect WOT at all. What do you guys think? Would having more line pressure on the tranny when it's being put into gear be a problem? I'm just going for less slippage inbetween gears.

All you have to do is take the cable that comes from the tranny completely out of the bracket then pull it all the way out and go ahead and crimp a wire connector onto it to keep it in that position. And yes, it does boost pressures at lower rpms but you won't notice much of a change at WOT because it's already designed to boost pressure to very close to 100% at WOT. But at lower rpm's it's quite a difference.

It'll affect your torque converter mainly, but in my opinion, not much. Even though the pressure is a lot higher, there's also a lot less torque traveling through it at lower rpms so it seems pretty safe. I drove mine like that for a few months and it felt fine but when the snow and ice hit I switched it back cause it was shifting to hard at lower rpms it was kickin my back tires out from under me unless I was in 4hi.

Well I tried it today, it drives great. Shifts much harder and quicker low rpms and remains the same at wot. Seems to be an easy way to get quicker shifts without internal tranny modifications.

This is an 'old school trick' and if you have a healthy trans, it usually works out ok.....but I only have experience with older trannys..... th350, c4's, so on. Can't see why it would be different with an aw4.

Back