• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch/bumper, and other questions

jb660r

NAXJA Forum User
Curious if anyone knows the max tongue, and towing weight on a bumper with an attached reciever. ( I searched and came up with nothing)
I recently removed my severely rotted hitch, after taking it off I noticed I should have never used it for anything over 5lbs. I made new bumper brackets from 3/8 steel, welded a new cross section to my center section from my old hitch, cut square holes in the brackets to slide in the new cross section and "captured" it, welding it also. (Basically the same way a normal hitch is made) So after all that rambling, I just don't want to bend or tweak the bumper mounting area from towing my trailer which weighs approx. 1000 lbs. loaded, and approx 350 lbs. tongue weight.
I was also wondering if anyone could recommend using f150 or zj coils with the weight of a winch bumper. and last.......eh, I'll save that one for a new post. lol, thanks for your help.

If your talking about using the 8 factory bumper bolts,dont do it! You need a receiver that mounts to the framerail using the factory nutstrips(or equivalent).

Yeah, thats exactly what I meant, I was just thinking since that set-up is used as a tow point, or removable winch mount, it might work. I did do some more searching though, and saw someone put a sleave into the frame rail, there is an access hole there that would need to be enlarged, but then again, I'm not sure that would help my situation that much. What I tow is my sons kx250f, a 50 lb tool box,easy-up tent, on a 5'x8' single axle flat trailer, total weight , probably 1000 lbs. Thanks for your input bro.

Anyone else with input, pictures or links to posts I missed? Sleaved, rienforced etc?

Last edited:
Just buy a Class 3 receiver and be done with it.

The point of doing my project was to get the hitch up as far as possible for ground clearance, and I like to build stuff basically. Anyone else have input? pics etc?

Then you need to make a REAL bumper that includes the receiver mounting points(in addition to the stock bumper mounting points).

Well that is the point , the REAL bumper is part of the whole project, what exactly do you mean by "reciever mounting points"? I'll just do what I need to do, and get more info as I go.I'll post a pic when I get a chance so theres an idea on what I'm doing

Back