• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost all lights

C.Semprini

NAXJA Forum User
Earlier this eveing I was driving home, hit a bump, and ALL of my lights went out. Headlights, fogs, parking lights, tail lights, brake lights, and dash lights. The only lights that work are my signals, but NOT the hazards. I checked the fuses under the dash and theyre all fine. It was already dark out so I havent had a chance to check anything under the hood. Im going to get into it all tomorrow, but I wanted to get some idea of where to look beforehand because Ive never had a problem like this before. Thanks in advance for any input!

Likely a fusible link up by the starter relay next to the battery.

The silver box next to the battery (I'd guess about 3 inches by 2 inches big) is the starter relay, connected to the larger stud is a bundle of wires. The black drum shaped things in the wires are actually fuses or fusible links.
It may get more frustrating before it gets better, if the wire on the fusible link didn't break from vibration and the link burnt out, it's likely there is a short someplace in the harness, which may be fun to find.

Last edited:
Hey I had the same problem with a 88, It turned out to be the wire harness behind the front bumper.I think it is on the drivers side .

More to add to it. About a week ago I noticed my lights were on for no reason. It was just the headlights nothing else. Mine has the delay option that keeps the lights on after you turn the engine off. For some reason that malfunctioned and turned the lights on. All I did was pull the 25amp delay fuse and it solved that problem. Well Im in the middle of trying to figure this out right now, and I just thought of sticking that fuse in to see what happens. Same thing, turned the lights on, WTF??? It also started buzzing since the door was open, but slowly seemed to die as well as the lights slowly dimmed. Now Im back to nothing again. What the hell is going on?

How can I tell is a fusable link went bad? Do they come apart to actually see the fuse?

JUST FOUND IT!!! So I looked over that cluster of wires. The links dont come apart to check to see if one is blown BUT the green wire is obviously the power source for the lights. As I was moving things around that wire didnt feel right, actually had an elastic feeling. Here the wire snapped inside and was only being held by the casing. Thanks for all of the help!

Back