• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle Problem - 1995 4.0L

OlyJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. My '95 4.0L recently developed an erratic idle when warm and cold. Using my Haynes Manual and a multi-meter, I tested all of the sensors and discovered a faulty O2. All other sensors tested ok. I also cleaned the IAC and throttle body. The problem was solved after installing the new O2.

Now I'm having a new problem. Upon cold starting, the idle is perfect and it runs great while in Park. However, as soon as I shift into gear, the engine stumbles for a few seconds. It doesn't quite stall and runs fine at higher RPMs. It only happens during cold startup and runs great otherwise. There is no "check engine" light and no trouble codes. WTF? Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

OlyJeep

Hard to say. Last time you had a tune up? Maybe its the TPS? Sounds like something to do with the fuel. IMO

Full tune-up has been done recently...new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, etc. I've checked the ground connections and other electrical connections, no vacuum leaks, intake manifold bolts are tight, no blown fuses, etc, etc, ect. It's a mystery. Luckily, it fixes itself after warming up and runs great otherwise, so it's not a major issue. It just pisses me off because I'm a perfectionist.

Definitely test your throttle position sensor.

Pretty easy to do with a meter. Sometimes you can have a marginally flaky TPS and it won't set a code.

Back