• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting fluid is the only way i can keep it running. any idea?

alky350

NAXJA Forum User
i bought a new fuel filter. i took out the fuel regulator(fuel rail) and inspected it, looks dirty rusty looking. dont know what i should try next. any ideas? it was running rough and idle was bouncing before it completely died. only way to keep it running now is by spraying starter fluid in the intake. i do hear the fuel pump and i disconnected the 2 hoses going to the fuel rail. one of them was squirting fuel when i would turn the ignition. whats next?

check valve?
fuel rail dirty?
fuel injectors dirty?
relays?

1991 xj 4.0 4x4

Did you check the pressure at the fuel rail? If your not getting 35psi or above Its likely that your fuel pump is going out.

We just had to pull the pump on our MJ and the fuel line to the pump was eaten away. Replaced that and it was good to go.

I agree with swbooking; you definitely need to check your fuel pressure. Very easy to do so by putting a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. You may very well have a fuel pump going south...

no pressure from the schrader valve after testing with a fuel pressure gauge. the xj has been sitting in my garage for 3 years. should i bring the tank down and clean it? im wondering if the fuel pump filter is clogged or something....i'll report back.

Sounds like you got crap through the whole system. If you drop the tank and clean it out, I'd also flush out the lines and clean out (maybe wire brush) or replace the fuel rail. I'm sure that pieces don't pass thru injectors well. I wonder if you can put current to an injector and blow it out backwards. Anybody tried that?????????

Check to see if you're getting power to the pump. Does it prime when you put the key in the on position? The name of it is slipping my mind right now but it's on the driver's side of the engine compartment. White thing bolted to the inner fender with two wires coming from it. Check voltage to that. Also check fuses and relays.

Check to see if you're getting power to the pump. Does it prime when you put the key in the on position? The name of it is slipping my mind right now but it's on the driver's side of the engine compartment. White thing bolted to the inner fender with two wires coming from it. Check voltage to that. Also check fuses and relays.

Fuel Pump Ballast Resistor

You can bypass it by attaching the two wires, your pump will be louder, but that will eliminate that issue and if that is indeed your problem, at least it will run. Replacement is about $10.

If not, you'll know that is NOT the problem.

Here it is:

th_Resistor.jpg

Sorry about the photo, too small. It's the white "ceramic thingy" on the drivers side with two Orange (on my 90) wires and spade connectors. Attach the two wires together, see what happens. It won't hurt anything, but if it fixes your problem, you're gold.

Good luck

Last edited:
i just pulled the fuel pump assembly, there is dried up crystal like shit all over the pump, gunk on the strainer. the fuel line going from the pump to the outlet is falling apart. tank needs a big time clean....i'll be droping the tank. any ideas how to clean? cleaners???? the xj has been sitting for about 3 years in my garage with 1/4 of gas.

fyi, before i pulled the pump assembly, i could hear the pump prime.

get a new tank...it's not that expensive...and see if you can find a pump from a junkyard, it'll be easier.

Back