• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really Stupid question

StandsOnToes

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Today the temperature plunged about 30 degrees making it -30 'C (alberta canada) so i go to plug in my '89 which i've only owned for 6 months and i can't find the damn plug. i know it should be near the battery like most vehicles but i can't find it. Is it somewhere else? i've searched for 30 minutes but its really cold outside any help in narrowing my search would be appreciated

Plug? Are you talking about the electric plug for the circulating heater or headbolt heater?

not sure which is which... people commonly call it the "block heater"...

i'm talking about an electrical plug that i'd plug an extension cord into.

... and after reading that i feel like a total women ha

Might not even have one. 30 degrees (f) is nothing to worry about anyway provided your antifreeze is mixed correctly. Check your heater hoses. if you see a t or splice in one, which is attached to a strange looking cylinder with and electrical plug attached to it, then you have a circulating heater which is the best in my humble opinion. That allows the anti-freeze to be heated and circulate around the entire cooling system. Headbolt heaters are just that. A special bolt that acts as a heat system to keep your engine block warm. Don't know too much on that so anyone chime in to add some more info. There are also battery warmer plates that the battery sits on. You plug it in and the battery is kept from freezing.

yeah i'm talking about the non circulating one 30 F isn;t nothing to worry about but -30 celcius is ... and thats not including winchill...

but thanks for the help all

I guess block heaters are just about standard in Canada, but they're not down here, so I'd first determine whether an 89, Canadian or otherwise, has one.

For reference, for others, it just happens that -30 degrees is the point at which both Celsius and Fahrenheit coincide: that is to say it's fricken cold on any scale.

For further reference, wind chill is a sensory measurement. Objects that do not feel the cold will not be any colder due to wind chill, although they may reach ambient temperature more quickly. If you leave your car out for the night it will be what the thermometer says, no matter how hard the wind blows.

well it started this morning... to much objection from the engine...

but in the off chance it doesn't have a heater i'm gonna find out for sure, can anyone tell me where the headbolt would be located on the engine so i can check and ( hopefully) follow a wire to the plug.

and yeah your all right no matter what scale -30 is damn cold and i only mentioned windchill to give you a idea why i'm on the forums instead of just spending the time physicly looking for the damn thing lol

i dont know what a "headbolt" heater is, mine, "an 88" goes in the freeze plug at the fron of the engine on the drivers side, there not too hard to install eather, if you dont have one.

Might not even have one. 30 degrees (f) is nothing to worry about anyway provided your antifreeze is mixed correctly. Check your heater hoses. if you see a t or splice in one, which is attached to a strange looking cylinder with and electrical plug attached to it, then you have a circulating heater which is the best in my humble opinion. That allows the anti-freeze to be heated and circulate around the entire cooling system. Headbolt heaters are just that. A special bolt that acts as a heat system to keep your engine block warm. Don't know too much on that so anyone chime in to add some more info. There are also battery warmer plates that the battery sits on. You plug it in and the battery is kept from freezing.

oh and thanks for the clarifcation on the two types i'm pretty sure i don't have the circulating heater now i can't see anything along those lines in the heater system.

see that what i'm thinking .... the wiring on this beast is a mess i betting it was strung somewhere stupid... or fell down underneth and got ripped off...

could anyone point me to where the headbolt this connection strings to is located?

It's down on the oil pan on the airbox side of the engine, mine can be tempermental with the cold (like myself) so I always plug in with any temp below -20.

Back