• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 help

94xjstud

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a D44 out of an 87xj and I will be putting it into my 94, 5" lift, no SYE and a 8.25. I have some questions
1. Can I use the hard line from my 8.25 to go on the 44?
2. What do I need to watch out for/be prepared for?
3. Gear ratio is the same, so can I just fill it up with oil and rock it?
4. Is this open or is there a limitedslip or locker?

Here are some pics, does everything look good?
IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

that looks like a limited slip. but after having 21-22 years on it i doubt it works. the only thing i had to change to put mine in was the hard line from the jeep. it was a little short. no biggie just flair on a new longer one. just fill and play

Looks like the axle is in pretty good shape. Also looks like your 44 has a hard line... why do you want to use the one from your 8.25?

If necessary, you should be able to (carefully) bend it to fit the 44's contours. Before you get too carried away though, make sure the distance from the banjo bolt to your driver side backing plate is the same. I don't know for sure about the 8.25, but my old 35 had the banjo bolt mounted in the same spot that the breather occupies on the 44. This made my short line a little long and my long line a little short.

I plugged the 44's banjo bolt hole and then drilled and tapped the 44's breather hole to fit the combo breather/banjo bolt that my D35 used. This allowed me to reuse my 35's hard lines (with some custom bending) and got rid of the cheesy plastic breather fitting.

Looks Good...... Gotta do a rear disc brake conversion.

You'll be glad you did.

Nick

My 8.25 is only 27 spline and I am running 33's on stock gears. I want to go 4.56 and a locker and not have to worry about breaking the axle. I am eventually going to do disk brakes, but I don't really have the tools, time and brake knowledge to do it yet.

I am not reusing the hard line because it got pinched sometime and I did not think that it would work.

So i just went out there and measured some brake lines.
14" Driver side brake line
40" Passenger side brake line
D44
12" Driver side brakline = this was the damaged one
42" Passenger side Brake line

So what I am going to do is reuse the passenger side of the D44 and use the Driver side of the 8.25, I'll just take a detour with the extra 2"

My input, an 8.25 27 spline is fine for 33's locked, just run it for now as is, before you put the d44 in lock it gear it, and if you can afford disc brakes do that too. Then when ready put it in with all that work done and re-gear your front axle or what ever. Thats how i would go about doing it. No point in putting it in then re-gearing it, just making more work for yourself.

I was going to have a shop do the gearing at the same time after x-mas, as I don't know how to do that or do I think I have the tools/work place. I currently sits outide on some logs and covered with a tarp.

So i just went out there and measured some brake lines.
14" Driver side brake line
40" Passenger side brake line
D44
12" Driver side brakline = this was the damaged one
42" Passenger side Brake line

So what I am going to do is reuse the passenger side of the D44 and use the Driver side of the 8.25, I'll just take a detour with the extra 2"

Sounds like the 8.25 has the same hard line set up as the D35. Your plan should work. Just be very careful bending the lines or you'll have another pinched one on your hands. :doh:

I found it easiest to straighten the line out (I used a rubber mallet and a nice soft chunk of lumber) and then gently bend it around an object with a radius similar to the bend I needed.

I was going to have a shop do the gearing at the same time after x-mas, as I don't know how to do that or do I think I have the tools/work place. I currently sits outide on some logs and covered with a tarp.

Hope you have that thing chained down so it doesn't grow legs.
:eyes:

lol j/k

I just did a dana 44 install in my 99 and it worked good. It is overkill for me as of now, but now I can move forward and not have to worry about axle strength.

I just got done doing a 44 swap in my 01, $565 total in the axle itself after replacing the all the diff bearings, and another $200 in the SYE I did at the same time. There are still a few things I'm not entirely satisfied with, mostly with the brakes, I still want to swap the Explorer rotors for ZJ's, get new calipers instead of the cleaned up JY ones, and probably some better pads too.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=966457

Back