• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar on HP Dana 44 or Stiffer coils

Brad79CJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running front 44 have a sway bar or do you run stiffer coils. I have Rusty's and need to do something different.

IMG_4314.jpg

rusty's are generally known to be the softest coils made for XJ's...

Skyjacker's are known to be the stiffest production springs...

RE's are somewhere in the middle...

I'd try some stiffer coils, and maybe flipping the lower spring cups side to side in an attempt to straighten out the spring a little bit.

Does it have the cast in spring mounts or weld on? If its welded, i would cut them off and get some new ones, weld them on at the same measurement of the dana 30. Which i believe is 37inches on center. Correct me if im wrong

They look like cast mounts to me. There is no tube under that coil mount. Just a cast section. In order to move it over, you would need to retube the axle if you wanted to keep it fullwidth.

x2 on moving coils, BDS also offers stiffer coils. there 3" and 4.5" coils have a higher rate than skyjackers.they list all there spring rates on there site. and they are gauranteed for life.just another option.

what size are those springs? 3 inch, 4 inch?, but, on a side note, i think rustys sell the weld on sway bar mounts for the axle, or you could try to fab some of your own

put coil buckets in the correct location plz

i run a wide(er thsn stock)44 front with no swaybars, and have minimal body roll, then again im at 2.5" of lift

my rustys coils are SOFT and sagged about 3"

I have driven it down the road and back. That's it. But it has wheeled a lot.

Would someone running a full width 44 post as to how this should be set up properly.

Thanks

When I swapped mine in I pushed the axle 4-5" forward, so I had to relocate the whole spring cup. I'd recommend doing something with some 1/4" plate to move the spring cup inward and build a shim to angle the coil properly. It sounds a little intimidating at first, but it's not all that bad. The shim is probably the hardest part of it. I'm taking some 1/2" plate I found and cutting it so it's long enough to be drilled for both holes on the cups, drilling it for them, then cutting them in half diagonally to make 2 shims. I hope I didn't confuse you, hard to explain right. . .
Also, I drove with my springs in a "less than ideal" case such as yours for about 2 weeks without any problems, but I would look into relocating them for peace of mind's sake.

WHOA. whatever you decide to do, PLEASE don't drive it on the street until that situation is taken care of!!

rusty's are generally known to be the softest coils made for XJ's...

Skyjacker's are known to be the stiffest production springs...

RE's are somewhere in the middle...

I'd try some stiffer coils, and maybe flipping the lower spring cups side to side in an attempt to straighten out the spring a little bit.

Is that really true?

Never heard that, although rusty's coils are soft and a nice ride. I was using their 3" heavy duty setup (30lb heavier compression rate than the regular 3" kit) and they were still soft and comfy coils!

Back