• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thoughts on this built XJ?

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriend's dad is looking to buy something to drive around the desert around Vegas. His friend's friend has this for sale. What questions would you ask to make sure this was a quality build? I don't have much experience with trucks built to this level so I'm not sure I know the right questions. I told him to start by asking for a list of mods. My list so far:

SYE?
Upgraded axles?
Gears?
lockers?
brake upgrades?
Trans/transfer case upgrades?
Cooling upgrades?
Steering upgrades?
Does it have swaybars (he'd be driving it on the road too)?
Any driveline vibration?
Engine upgrades?

PlantsJeepSarahBridgeover038.jpg

PlantsJeepSarahBridgeover039.jpg

PlantsJeepSarahBridgeover040.jpg

PlantsJeepSarahBridgeover041.jpg

What rear axle does it have? I would say it looks ok from the images, seems like there was thought put into it. Also check the Temps to make sure it doesn't overheat. Make sure it has 4.56 gears minimum (those look like 35s)

Make sure it doesn't have a Dana 35 in the back. A geared 8.25 would be ok. But if it has a D35 and/or isn't geared I would say pass unless he has the cash to do something about it.

Why would you say pass if you do not even know what the guy is asking for it price wise, if it is low enough you can make the necessary upgrades yourself. Looks like most of the work has been done already

Holy shit. That is a serious shock set up for 4 or 5 inches of lift.
jeepspeed will do that.

my biggest concern would be what axle/gearing does it have, depending on price. other than that, it looks pretty good, once again, price dependent. if it's cheap enough, a new set of axles and gears for it could even be worth it. it's been modified before, it wouldn't hurt anything and isn't really a big deal to modify it some more.

It has 33's on it. a man can get around on stock gears and 33's. Granted allperforamnce would basically suck but it can be done.

Even if it has a D35, my guess is you can talk the guy down enough to fund another stock width axle. 8.25's and 8.8's can be had cheap enough to match whatever is in the front.

Would a rear shock setup like that make it unsafe for highway and interstate driving? Ive heard that reconfiguring the factory setup make them unstable for turning corners at highway speeds...is this true? Ive been wanting to do a setup like that on mine but I do about 300 miles of highway driving a week so it still needs to be safe since its my daily driver.

I doubt it would have a full traction longarm kit, king shocks, a cage and stock gears on a dana 35. Possible, but unlikely.

As it happens, I have seen that rig before - i can't think of where. Post in the SoCal chapter and see if anyone recognizes it, maybe you can get some history.

what kind of "driving around the desert in vegas" is he looking to do?
what is his wheeling experience?
looks like someone was taking a shot at building a JeepSpeed vehicle... but typically, you'd build the cage and unibody before putting a serious amount of coin into the shock setup... which makes me wonder if this attempt was half arsed.
the shock setup on the rig pictured would run about the price of a typical XJ.

I think I saw that rig for a sale a little while ago on craigslist... I wanna say it was up for 7k... Not positive, though.. The lift, shocks, and shock setup alone are 4k easily...

Would a rear shock setup like that make it unsafe for highway and interstate driving? Ive heard that reconfiguring the factory setup make them unstable for turning corners at highway speeds...is this true? Ive been wanting to do a setup like that on mine but I do about 300 miles of highway driving a week so it still needs to be safe since its my daily driver.

Its meant for blasting across the desert! I'm sure it will do fine on the road. It looks to be built really well!

is it just me or does it look like it would rub like crazy with the suspension compressed. with jeepspeed don't you want a good amount of up travel. I don't think it would handle too well if it was constantly banging off the bump stops.

if he does buy it some trimming is in order. but thats pretty much free. if I was in the market for an xj and I saw this I would deffenatly consider buying it.

Back