• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Exhaust

RescueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone run the Rusty's exhaust with a Flowmaster 40 series? I don't mind if its a little loud on start up but I don't want to listen to it on the highway. Is this a decent set up or would you recommend something else?

uh how about you just buy a flowmaster and have an exhaust shop install it for you.... deff alot cheaper.

I have the rustys cat back with the 40 series and its defiantly audible on the highway and the turn down on the tail pipe on mine wasnt straight. I think the 50 series would be a better choice for you.

uh how about you just buy a flowmaster and have an exhaust shop install it for you.... deff alot cheaper.

I don't need an exhaust shop to install it. I need a new muffler and a new tailpipe, which is what Rusty's sells.

Thank you screech. I'm listening to some youtube clips and 50 series sounds a little less aggressive.

Last edited:
I have the Rusty's 50 series kit with the rest of the exhaust stock. It's still pretty loud at idle but I really don't notice it at highway speeds. I'm really glad I got it instead of the 40 series.

I have the 50 series with the mandrel bent tail pipe on two of my XJ's.
I recommend both.

the exhaust as they sell is it great...pretty hard to screw up an exhaust. the price is right, go for it. i do find it a little annoying w/ my auto. it sounds great w/ the 5-speed tho.

I have 50/tailpipe setup too from Rusty's I like it, sounds aggressive but not over the top, attracting cops from all directions, another reason to hate lifted off road vehicles kind of loud, if you know what I'm getting at. We should all consider these things from time to time. Our impact on the public has the biggest impact on our future.

I don't much like the flowmaster - to me, it's just a bit loud with an annoying resonance at 1500-1750 RPM. I'd go wtih Magnaflow or something.
Flowmaster doesn't flow that well, either.

I don't much like the flowmaster - to me, it's just a bit loud with an annoying resonance at 1500-1750 RPM. I'd go wtih Magnaflow or something.
Flowmaster doesn't flow that well, either.

I like my Rusty's FM50 catback. It fit well and good overall quality and value. I replaced the last 18" of the tail pipe with some 2.25" instead of the 2.5" it came with. This was to reduce the resonance at 1500 RPM +/- . It was most annoying on the city streets between 30 and 40 MPH.

I cut the tip of my exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle starting from the center and only taking off half of the tip. The tip wasn't a round circle anymore and that definitely helped at idle and at the slow city speeds. I noticed an immediate effect on the overall sound. I got the idea after looking at how the exhaust tips on mid 90 Chevrolet pickups and SUVs were cut.

I have the exhaust kit with the 50 series muffler from Rustys. Like others have said, it is loud, but not obnoxious. I found it had an annoying resonance at lower RPMs when I first got it, but it went away after a few weeks. Either that or I got used to it. Anyone else have the same experience? Could a small amount of carbon deposite change the sound?

I like how it sounds and I would recommend it. I know a lot of people bash Rustys, but I personally found their customer service over the phone to be quite good.

X2 on Rustys. They have always answered questions of mine without hesitation. They stayed on the phone with me for almost an hour while i was doin my lift. Good guys and iv never had a problem with any of their stuff..but then again all i have is their springs and leaves. But overall they've been awesome.

Back