• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 aw4 in 88 xj swap ?

-88fleXJ-

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and can't find what i am looking for. I would like to know what I need to swap a 99 trans in to a 88 xj. I know to swap out sensor rotor. but what about wiring?

Yup, you have to swap the output speed sensor and rotor.

The wiring harness for the solenoids and sensors was a little different too. As I recall all the wiring was similar colors and in the same places on the connector, but the connector was different. Two routes you can go. If you're dropping the pan: you can unhook the solenoid wires, unscrew the bolt where the wiring harness comes out of the tranny, pull the wiring out, and reuse your old wiring harness. Or you can cut the wires after they come out of the tranny and splice on your old harness. As I said, I think the wire colors were almost identical, like black with violet stripe versus white with violet stripe.

NSS will be different too. You'll have to swap your old one over. Sell the new one on eBay for $40.

is it 4x4?

wont there be a spline count issue with the transfercase? 88 uses a 21 spline and the 99 uses a 23. also the length of the transfercase mainshaft may be different. short verses long.

Back