• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna question

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am wanting to mount a CB antenna on my back bumper since the one on my roof sucks and its a small antenna that was installed on it when it was a DNR rig. I am wondering should i go with a 4 or 5 foot antenna? Which mount should i use on it? :dunno:

yeah i was wanting it to stick up further so it still get decent range on the highway. Where on the hatch do you have it mounted?

level with the top of the brake light. i dont have a spring yet. after i get a spring it'll be another 6" higher.

Prolly don't need to tell you this but a bumper mount is about the worst place for a CB antenna. Center of the roof it best.

That being said, it's always a compromise.

I like my Wilson 5000 roof mount, with a 60" whip. I remove the whip most of the time because it drags when I pull in an out to the garage, parking structures, etc. Takes about 30 seconds to reinstall, so no biggy.

Prolly don't need to tell you this but a bumper mount is about the worst place for a CB antenna. Center of the roof it best.

That being said, it's always a compromise.

I like my Wilson 5000 roof mount, with a 60" whip. I remove the whip most of the time because it drags when I pull in an out to the garage, parking structures, etc. Takes about 30 seconds to reinstall, so no biggy.

I have a small 18in or so antenna in the middle of the roof but the problem is i can't put a 3/8-24 male end antenna on it. It has a 1/4-20 female antenna. So unless i can find an adapter i'm screwed!

i had a 4' whip antenna custom mounted on the side of the hatch that worked really well. since it was a whip style there was not risk of it bending and breaking. and if i wanted it out of the way i would just unscrew it at the mount or bend and ziptie it to the roof rack

jeep2008016.jpg

I have a small 18in or so antenna in the middle of the roof but the problem is i can't put a 3/8-24 male end antenna on it. It has a 1/4-20 female antenna. So unless i can find an adapter i'm screwed!

Change the mount?

I mounted mine behind the driver side rear bumper end cap. Made and l bracket and drilled a hole through the plastic end cap. She whip stub is about 4" long and has an allen set screw if I want to take the whip off. I just threw and extra allen wrench in my glove box so it's always handy. There is also a nice drain plug about 6" towards the front from there that makes routing the cable into the jeep real easy.

Mine is 2000 and I simply pulled the dome light to drill the mounting hole for my Wilson. Worked slick.

Back