• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what have you guys done to protect your alternators?

A relocation is probably your best mod then. It sits too low to do much to it. Move it higher and out of the way. SLO is a fun place.

A relocation is probably your best mod then. It sits too low to do much to it. Move it higher and out of the way. SLO is a fun place.

yeah i dont want to do anythin that extreme

ive heard you can swap a bracket from a ZJ but ive never actually looked into it as i put a stock front skid on and that seemed to block out alot of crap that was gettin up there

yeah im thinking about just making a little mini shield " skid " type thing for it to keep most mud and gunk away.

That what I have done. I took a piece of plastic and zip tied it in place. It blocks most of the mud out.

I used aluminum flashing, which you can basically cut with scissors to make a custom shaped shield that i put on with some screws, directly under the alternator & I have a stock front skid plate & that keeps most of the gunk out of the engine compartment. It wont help you if you submerge the vehicle, but for driving thru puddles etc.

I took a piece of sheet metal and put a lip in for strength bolted it to the frame rail just below it.

For deep gooey mud it will do nearly nothing but it will keep the gritty water from splashing up.

I believe I used 1 self tapper and the other 3 bolts were holes that already existed in the front rail.

It was just short afternoons work...

DSCI1290.JPG

DSCI1289.JPG

Last edited:
ever have an xj with the rubber matt under the engine bay? That covered way more of the bottom

Yep... the factory had a large rubber mat that kept most of the dirt out, I got sick of re-attaching mine cuz it kept ripping. While the alt may get a bit more cool air, the dirt will do more harm.

Back