• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open rear axle..Suggestions??

RWD

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '97 XJ with an open rear axle and I am getting very tired of spinning one tire when the roads are wet.(which is most of the time here in Oregon..) What would be the best upgrade for a daily driver. BTW, I have installed the RE 3.5 Superflex w/ leaf packs, xfer case drop, and RE adjustable track bar. Thanks!!

well a limited slip would probably be your best upgrade. a full locker would probably be a little much for your daily driver.

i like open diffs best for driving in the rain, i find with my lock-right or detroit when i am making turns i have to be very careful. a few times i have set it sideways since both tires spin. if you spin one rear tire while making a turn so what.

if you want crazy traction in the rain, swap in a NP242 i used to love that thing. open diffs front and rear i could floor it and make a turn in the pouring rain no prob.

:)

my .02

-Tim

RWD said:
Does the Powertrax require re-aligning the gear mesh and etc. like when changing gears?

the lunchbox lockers (in c-clip axles) can be installed with the carrier in the jeep, no adjustments needed, just pull the spider gears and replace then with the ratchet things.

i found my instructions on the internet cuz i didnt have any

-Tim

if all you do is drive in the streets, then i would recommend a limited slip. If your jeep does also see the dirt, i would recommend a locker. The advantage of a locker will only help offroad, as you have to be a little carefull when driving with one on the rainy streets. As some have said before, you can fishtail your jeep if youre not careful.

Auto or Manual?

Dont put a full time locker in the rear of a manual for DD purposes...

Mine makes it feel VERY loose back there and makes driving a little less than fun...

I have a 98 with 5 speed, 8.25 rear and 3:07 gears. 3 years ago I installed an Auburn Pro LSD. I've been very happy with it, however there is a learning curve as far as handling is concerend on wet, icy and snowy roads. It tends to push you straight if you apply power while making a turn. Making a turn at an intersection from the stopped condition the back end can and will break loose which makes turning MUCH faster :D but you have to learn to control it or you can end up facing the way you came with a really really suprised driver in back of you.
In the case of the auburn the open carrier comes out and gets replaced which entails resetting up the ring gear, as I remember mine was under $400 for the auburn, rebuild kit with new bearings and seals and the installation which took about an hour or so, maybe a bit longer as I got to help :D
When you get it pick a nice empty parking lot and play with it, one with no concrete lite pylons or concrete curbs in your training area..
In alot of conditions where I had to use 4wd now I don't which is nice on spotty snow covered roads.

Back