• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember replacement

Johnsdad

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the stock set up and have looked at a number of the replacements available on line. The one from Rustys seems the best value - any advice? Is it true there is an increase ground clearance over the stock crossmember? (I only have a 3 inch lift and have not dropped the transfer case.)

I need to replace the stock set up and have looked at a number of the replacements available on line. The one from Rustys seems the best value - any advice? Is it true there is an increase ground clearance over the stock crossmember? (I only have a 3 inch lift and have not dropped the transfer case.)

Best value or cheapest?
happysad.gif

Billy

i have the Rustys x-member with 1" drop. it's a hell of a lot beefier than the stock unit. you gain ground clearance by using Rustys x-member with 1" built in drop instead of dropping the stock x-member 1" to eleminate any vibes.

Are you really looking for that inch of GC? Or do you just need a skid plate/cross membrane combo? A good stocker can be plated up cheaper and easy if you got a stinger or a bud with one.
They are not that hard to make from scratch for that mater.

I bought the T&T HD Crossmember, it wasn't the rock bottom cheapest but it was easy to install, it gave an extra 1" ground clearance, and worked with my 242

I got the Bellypan version--it is HD and works great. If you need the 242 you have to specify and it may take a bit longer to get. About the only inconvenience with the longer version was the lack of access to the tranny drain plug--a hole saw soon eliminated that, though.

Are you really looking for that inch of GC? Or do you just need a skid plate/cross membrane combo? A good stocker can be plated up cheaper and easy if you got a stinger or a bud with one.
They are not that hard to make from scratch for that mater.

hehe. cross membrane.

But, as others have said...the TNT stuff seems to be very nice, and worth the extra coin. I've got Clayton, but I do wish it were more of a bellypan to protect the underside, rather than just being a replacement crossmember for the arms to mount to...

I've got he 231 and considered Rustys Transfer case skid with their crossmember a good match but see the point with TNT. Their crossmember replacement must be similar to Rustys - anyone buy either one and fab a TC skid to add on?

There's a guy on here that makes them, amazing value from what everyone's said about it. It bolts to the bottom of the stock xmember. I'll try and see if I can find it.

Went with TNT Cross member and stock TC skid. The cross member gives more clearance but I lost a bit on the stock TC skid. It cost less than the shipping for the cross member so I figured it was better than nothing.

I ran the rustys cross member with the stock skid plate welded on for a while... It worked great but after afew trips and landing pretty hard on the cross member it start to bend up. For moderate trail riding it is a great peice... I wound up making one out of a 2x6 box tubing.

I ran the rustys cross member with the stock skid plate welded on for a while... It worked great but after afew trips and landing pretty hard on the cross member it start to bend up. For moderate trail riding it is a great peice... I wound up making one out of a 2x6 box tubing.

x2. I have had the rustys for a few years and it's bent pretty bad. It has gotten pushed up after a few harder hits. I have even added bracing to it and it still has gotten worked. It would be fine for moderate wheeling, but if you doing anything more aggressive, get something beefier off the bat (like the TNT).

Oh, and don't get a warn t-case skid. Folds like a taco. For a t-case skid, I would recomend ones that spans the frame rails like a DPG one.

Back