• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering WHEEL wobble

maxxpehling

NAXJA Forum User
No, not another DW thread. something happened last weekend and all of a sudden my steering column, where it tilts wobbles around like a mofo, probably 1-1.5" or so top to bottom or side to side. Havent seen an easy way to get the covers off the column yet, or had any ideas what it could be. I would assume some sort of bushing that broke which hold the shaft of the column in place?

any ideas or insight would be appreciated!

no problem man! OH, and if you've never been in one of these types of steering columns and depending on your wrenchin skills this job may take you a long time (maybe 4-6 hours) I am a pretty decent backyard mechanic and it took me probably in the neighborhood of 4 hours - the main thing is be patient and when you get to the bolts that need tightening take them out and clean em real good then locktite them so it never happens again - TRUST ME this is one of those thing you won't want to do twice

I dont want to do it once haha. I'll have to set aside some time to get it done SOON

ive had to do it twice on my 89 because i didnt put locktight on the bolts and had to dig into the column a year later.

it probably would take less time to swap out the whole column with one from a junk yard.

ive had to do it twice on my 89 because i didnt put locktight on the bolts and had to dig into the column a year later.

it probably would take less time to swap out the whole column with one from a junk yard.
LOL, oh yeah without a doubt it would probably only take an hour PLUS the hour to take it out at the yard AND the drive to the yard then the cost of it then you go rock crawlin once a month and a year later that one wobbles too - just fix yours instead

Cross your fingers. When I pulled mine apart, it wasn't the loose bolts as above. I found a bad bearing. Ended up replacing the whole column. That was fun.

I have done lots of these and the chevy asylum link is the easy way for sure.I have had good results with only tightening the two bolts you can get at, and my own 89 wag has worked fine for three years now.Only takes me about an hour to do this .Take pic's go slow and it's not that hard.

Last edited:
Yeah, I could only pull 3 of the 4 and apply locktite. The forth one I did manage to tighten though. Took me about 2 hours, going slow and taking a few pictures along the way to remember how it all went together. I did find one little clip on the floor a few weeks later but everything works just fine. I think it was just a guide for one of the rods that went down the column.

Back