• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck in 4WD HELP!

CBB311

NAXJA Forum User
we had our first big snow of the year yesterday so i was in 4 wheel high on the short drive home. when i got in the jeep this morning and when i turn it on the indicator light says that im in 4 part time but the t case lever is in 2wd. i take off driving and it definitely feels like its in 4wd. my transfer case lever goes 2WD 4part time 4 full time N and 4 LO. ive tried shifting into neutral, shifting the t case into all gears and the part time light just stays on. btw its an 89 XJ with auto tranny. any help is appreciated im about to need the jeep for the trip from KC to houston in a few weeks and this is no bueno!

If you can't get this sorted out, keep it in full time. Driving on part time will wear out your transfer case and U joints.

Like previously suggested put it in fulltime 4WD and leave it for the winter months. I used to live in the Ga mountains and kept my 242 in fulltime from the first snowflake untill the trees started to bud out. Just hurts your MPG a little is all.

its dark now but i will check the linkage tommorow. and like i said in 2wd and in part time the part time light stays on, but when i put it in full time the light goes off. this is my first 4wd vehicle so forgive me if i feel like im missing something big?

oh and ive got a transfer case switch from advance, should i try changing this? if so where is it located at on the t case?

Did you figure it out? I think it is the linkage also. I have a 242 TC and it stays in FT 4X4 through the winter and part of the summer. With a few exceptions the FT is the most useful, so, if it is too cold right now to mess with it but you can set it in FT, do it and wait for another time to mess with it.

If you drive for awhile on dry land in part time you will likely blow your TC. Look for what the handle in the cab attaches to if you cant get it in full time. Also try moving slowly and then slip it into 2wd. If it doesnt work sit for a second and try again. If it doesnt work you need to climb under and find the linkage.

have you tried backing up a bit?

i got frustrated with it in the grovery store parking lot and just kept messing with it and finally got it out. but now theres a foot of snow on the ground so its in FT and isnt coming out for a while. how hard is it to change the TC switch?

Back