• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem With Axles

drew_man_chu

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ Sport 4.0L 4x4 with automatic trans. I bought the Jeep 3 weeks ago, and when crawling under it to take a closer look at my diffs, I was scared.

The front end has a Dana 30 with 3.55 gears, which I had expected.

But the rear end was bugging me. It's a Dana 35 (which is fine with me), but the two small tags on the diff cover bolts were what surprised me. One had "35" on it which I assume ment it was a Dana 35, and the other had a "4110" tag, which I assume ment it had 4.11 gears.

The axle looks exactly like my 1988 2.5L 4x4, so I'm worried about trying out the 4x4. I didn't bother to check for sure if the 4WD worked when I was test driving it (with the salesman, so I didn't want to go too off-road with it).

I've heard stories about how much damage running different gear ratios can cause on other trucks (a friends 1986 F150 destroyed the trans and t-case).

Is there an easy way to find out for sure if everything is good? I really don't want to have to pull the diff cover and count teeth.

This has been covered many times before...

An easy way:

Jack up the rear end, turn the rear driveshaft until the tires complete one full rotation. (Have a buddy watching the tire).

Then If it took you 3.5 turns of the driveshaft to complete one rotation on the tires then you have 3.55 gears. If it takes you a little over 4 turns then you have 4.10s.

Simple enough...

Back